I had previously stated:
"Beta version R6.6.7 appears to function on my Vista Laptop, but on my Pentium 3 desktop, it crashes on startup.
The production version R6.5.80 functions on both the Vista Laptop and the Pentium 3."
I had reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP to get rid of all un-needed processes on the Pentium III because I plan to use this computer only for running the pico-scope 4227 along with acrobat reader (for reading manuals) and a few other programs with no steady internet access.
I loaded the operating system from the CDROM, installed service pack 3, and then allowed windows update to provide all updates after service pack 3 including Internet explorer 8. I installed Internet Explorer right after service pack 3 so that updates would include any related to IE8. Then I installed R6.5.80 and R6.6.7 beta. R6.5.80 worked right away but R6.6.7 beta crashed every time I attempted to start it. I rebooted and tried again with the same crash result.
Then when I went to do an image backup with Acronis 11, automatic update began another update on shut down that took a long time to install, but upon starting up the computer again R6.6.7 beta seems to start up now without crashing. I am not sure what the update was, but I think that it may have been a dot Net Framework update.