time between captures

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
omnium

time between captures

Post by omnium »

Hi,
I need the absolute time between a serial of triggered captures. Timestamp for each capture, time or tick count e.g. for the x-axis will be fine.
Is that possible with PicoScope 6?

Sorry for bad english,
peter

johnw

Re: time between captures

Post by johnw »

hi omnium

Picoscope 6 has a range of measurement options built in you can set to display automatically or you can
use 2 adjustable rulers to measure between specific points. You can also capture the signal and measure it
or do it in "real time"

If you don't have the software - download it and it will let you use a demo mode even if you don't have
a scope yet. This will let you see what it can do. It even lets you choose the device to demo.
Look under the measurements drop down - it's clearly labled.

If you're still not sure some more info on exactly what you need will help.
john
--------------------------------------------------

omnium

Post by omnium »

Hi,
thank you for the answer..
johnw wrote: ..If you're still not sure some more info on exactly what you need will help.
I have "PicoScope® 6 - PC-Oszilloskop-Software version: 6.5.78.5" with Pico DrDAQ and need the absolute time/timestamp for some (random)triggered events which are captured with Picoscope. The events are triggered to reduce data. So I get a file for each recorded event. To analyse the data I need at least one timestamp for each file...the resolution of the timestamp should be ~100µs...eg 'h:min:sec:ms:µs'.

Thank you for your attention,
peter

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by alan »

Hi,

If you view properties in PicoScope each waveform has a date and time stamp. The timestamp is the actual time eg 14:03:46 so reports to the nearest second.

As we get this time from the PC, I am not sure it would be possible to report to the nearest 100uS as the resolution from the real time clock inside some PCs is 1 second.

If the software has saved multiple waveforms within one second there is no way of knowing the time within that second, but the filename will show the order they occured.

Regards
Alan

omnium

Post by omnium »

Hi,
alan wrote: If you view properties in PicoScope each waveform has a date and time stamp. The timestamp is the actual time eg 14:03:46 so reports to the nearest second.
yes, but I need a better resolution..
As we get this time from the PC, I am not sure it would be possible to report to the nearest 100uS as the resolution from the real time clock inside some PCs is 1 second.
..so I have to code something by myself..I will give Labview a try..real time tick counter should be availiable...

Thank you for the answer,
peter

jasperhauer

Post by jasperhauer »

Hi,

i just wanted to know if any progress has been made on the subject of time resolution of timestamps.

I would need a resolution of 50 ms.

Regards jasper

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

This is not available at the present time but is on the feature request list.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager