CAN Bus Serial Decoding with TA041 Differential Probe

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
gartnerj1

CAN Bus Serial Decoding with TA041 Differential Probe

Post by gartnerj1 »

Quick question on CAN bus serial decoding. I was planning on using a differential probe across CAN Hi and CAN Low (TA041). I was told that this is the best way to look at the electrical aspects of the CAN signal. Is this true? If I want to decode also, does PicoScope6 support this type of connection?
Thanks!
-JHG

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CAN Bus Serial Decoding with TA041 Differential Probe

Post by alan »

Hi,

There is no problems with viewing / decoding CAN data using a differential probe. If you have one its a good idea as it allows CAN high and CAN low to be monitored with a single channel.

On the other hand you can do the same using 2 channels. The software allows both CAN high and low to be selected / decoded at the same time. You can also use maths channels to do CAN high - CAN low and decode the result.

In short no problems whether you use a differential or standard passive probes.

Alan

gartnerj1

Post by gartnerj1 »

Alan:
Thanks for the reply.
So what you are saying is that it wouldn't matter whether I select CAN Hi or Low in PicoScope6 if I'm using a differential probe? I'll get the same waveform in P6 either way. Is this correct? Thanks!
-JHG

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by alan »

Hi,

If you are using a diff probe, or 2 passive probes (CHA - CHB) then select CAN high for the decoding.

Regards
Alan