PLW Spreadsheet window display problem in Picolog

Forum for discussing PicoLog
Z.Bruce

PLW Spreadsheet window display problem in Picolog

Post by Z.Bruce »

Hi

Using Picolog with an ADC20 to log some loadcells and displacement transducers on a shearbox. Generally no issues, but there's a bug with the spreadsheet window - when I start a recording run, the data will start plotting in the graph window, but will not show up in the spreadsheet window for some time, and even then not a complete history - often not displaying readings for the first few hours of the test. If I hit the select all button and paste into Excel, I get the whole data run, from when I started the test, so the data is there, but not displaying in the Picolog spreadsheet window.

Has anyone else had this bug? Sometimes I can get the data to start displaying by opening and closing the PLW spreadsheet window, or fiddling with its settings, but this doesn't always work, so I'm not sure if the reappearance of the data is to do with re-opening the spreadsheet window/settings, or just random.

Cheers

Zane.

olepagh
User
User

Re: PLW Spreadsheet window display problem in Picolog

Post by olepagh »

I think you can call it a bug (among other).

My experience is that when you restart a logging session, the spreadsheet window will display cells down the number of readings that corrosponds to the previous session.

It is easy to recover the actual cells by scrolling up with the right scrollbar. If you have many readings, scrolling to the top of the spreadsheet, the first next reading vill cause the spreadsheet to automatic scroll down again to the actual readings.

Ask the software guys to fix that in a future release should not be at big issue.
/ Best regards
Ole
Denmark

Z.Bruce

Post by Z.Bruce »

Ole - I am not referring to the autoscroll function or not knowing how to use a scrollbar. The problem is that with a new picolog session, with the program just opened, settings for the test just having been set, etc, when I start the test, data is being recorded as it appears on the graph window, and can be selected/pasted from the spreadsheet, but is not visible in the spreadsheet window, no matter how one scrolls. When the data does appear, it is often some hours after I started the test, and although the complete data set from test start is still present if I do a select all and paste to an external editor, the spreadsheet window will only display as scrollable data from the point which it mysteriously decided to start displaying the data, not the point at which I initiated the recording of the data.

Zane.

olepagh
User
User

Post by olepagh »

Hi Zane.

OK, I think the right thing to do next is to ask the Pico people what to do...

However a tip from here might help you:
I always made the settings file (*.pls) Read Only with File Explorer.
Then the program starts exactly the same way every time I restart the program and open that specific 'pls' file.

In the section for the spreadsheet, I have the lines:

[Spread1]
Filename=*.prn
TimeFormat=3
Start=0

I think that "Start=0" means that when loggings begin the program displays from the first line in the spreadsheet.
I'm using ADC24, PT104 and several TC08 converters and they are all programmed with the above statements in the spreadsheet section and i have never seen missing lines in the spreadsheet view.
/ Best regards
Ole
Denmark

Z.Bruce

Post by Z.Bruce »

Ah, that's more interesting - yes, if I open up the .pls file in emacs, there's a ridiculously high number on that start parameter (something like 11000). Can't edit it now as I'm running a test, but it looks like this may be the source of the problem

Thanks

Zane.

olepagh
User
User

Post by olepagh »

It looks like a problem I raised in February this year.

http://www.picotech.com/support/topic5795.html

The problem have not been solved yet as far as I know.
/ Best regards
Ole
Denmark