Data-logger for engine dynamometer

Which product is right for your exact requirements
serpent

Data-logger for engine dynamometer

Post by serpent »

Hi,
my name is Jernej. For my diploma at the university I'm going to do an inertia dyno and some model engine (3.5ccm) tests on it.

So, I'm writing you, because I need help regarding the measuring equipment I need.
I would like to mesure temperature, revs, power, torque and acceleration of the engine (so I think I need at least 2 channels for temp. and revs) in a specific period of time.
The temperatures of this engines are max 130°C and the max revs 50.000/min.

What about the DrDAQ PC based data logger?
I need something not expensive, because I'm a student, so...

Thanks very much for help.

Best regards

Jernej

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

The DrDaq is not really capable of this with the sensor that we can provide, since its temperature range is only -10 deg C to 105 deg C on the external temperature, and the internal has a narrower range than that.

To measure the high temperatures that you need you would need to make your own temperature sensor and scaling file. The problem here would be converting the voltage into a temperature reading. It would be made easier if you could get a linear conversion. Unfortunately, I am unable to suggest the type of temperature sensor that would be suitable.

You would also need to source sensors to measure the revs, power, torque and acceleration, these would have to be units that returned a single ended voltage and had comparable voltage rang to the DRDAQ, if they did not the singal would have to be conditioned before it is input in to the unit. Again I am un able to assist in where you will be able to purchase such things from.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

serpent

Post by serpent »

Hi,
thanks for the answer.
Could you please at least advise me what data-logger would be suitable for this kind of aplication?
For the sensors and other material I will check elswhere.

Thanks

Regards
Jernej

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I would suggest that you look at the following units:

PT104 and TC-08: both these unit measure temperaure, the first uses Platinum resistors and the second all types of thermocouples.

For the other sensors I woudl advise that you look at the ADC-11/12, this unit measures single ended voltage in the range of 0-2.5 volts, and has a sample rate of 10,000 sps, which is divisable by the number of active channels.

If you have further question once you have checked out the specifications I would be more than willing to answer them.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

serpent

Post by serpent »

Hi,

thanks very much for the useful answers.

Best regards

Jernej

serpent

Post by serpent »

Hi,
I have another question.
If I want to measure the RPM, I suppose there has to be a pulse counter built in the data logger.
Does your data loggers have this feature?

Thanks.

Regards

Jernej

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

The loggre and software does not have a pulse counter.

Best regards,
Mark S.
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Post by Guest »

Hi,
thanks very much for the answer.
If there is not such an option, how is it possible to mesure RPMs? I think there has to be a timer and a pulse counter to mesure frequency-RPM, am I right?

Best regards

Jernej

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

To measure the RPM you will need to provide a sensor that converts the RPM into either a frequency, voltage or 4-20mA output, so that it can then be scaled in the software to an rpm reading.

If this is not possible for you perhaps someone else on the forum can suggest an alternative method.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

serpent

Post by serpent »

Thank you very much for the answer.

Best regards

Jernej