Sampling rate inaccuracy PicoLog 1012

Post any questions you may have about our current range of USB data loggers
tiavs

Sampling rate inaccuracy PicoLog 1012

Post by tiavs »

Hi there, hope you can help please.

I am using a PicoLog 1012 USB device into a desktop PC running Windows XP. I am feeding in a DC voltage which oscillates, so i need to run at a fast sampling rate, 5ms.
At this speed in single streaming mode the data looks good with nice resolution, but i have worked out that the time recorded in milliseconds is not quite correct. If it is set for 1000 samples at 5ms sampling rate then it should run for 5 seconds, which it shows on the x-y chart. Unfortunately it is losing time, and has actually ran for a little over 5 seconds. Is there a fix for this, or do i have to introduce a correction factor afterwards ? To ensure it was not the PC at fault, i have re-installed the software on my laptop today and it does exactly the same thing. Many thanks - dave

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Sampling rate inaccuracy PicoLog 1012

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
I am afraid that the PicoLog program is running close to it's maximum speed in "Real Time Continuous" mode at 5mS. A faster PC helps but you are always likely to be sampling slower than requested at high sample rates. Can you not use the PicoScope6 program which can sample faster?
Regards,
PeterF.