Test and Measurement Forum

Malfunctioning scope after incorrect input range setting

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes

Malfunctioning scope after incorrect input range setting

Postby wiik » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Hello. I am using a PicoScope 4424 for long term monitoring by using available API.

By mistake, I set the input range to +/- 500mV, while the actual incoming signal was around +/- 3V and operated for a few minutes (due to not noticing the source of the error).

During this time several strange things happended in the following order:

- My logging application failed immediately when the wrongly ranged channel was connected.
- After disconnection of the wrongly ranged probe, a dc-offset occured on all channel.
- All probes were disconnected, still the PicoScope 6 application showed a dc-offset on all channels.
- The picocope was disconnected from computer and without power for a couple of minutes. The PC was restarted and PicoScope still showed a dc-offset on all channels.
- At this point, I concluded that the PicoScope needed repair.
- After 16 hours, the picoscope was started again, and the dc-offset dissappeared.
- After further 8 hours, the picoscope was tested with signal generator, and expected values was found. It is now unclear if I have a scope the functions sometimes and others not, or if the sequence was expected due to the wrongly ranged channel.

1. I am very curious knowing about what the expected consequence of a under-ranged input signal?

2. And also if I need to repair my oscilloscope or not due the described sequence of events?
wiik

Re: Malfunctioning scope after incorrect input range setting

Postby PeterF » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:06 am

Hi,
I suspect that something in the input stage was overheated which caused a temporary DC drift. If all is well now, do not worry. If you have problems in future, you still have a full 5 year warranty, so you are still covered.
Regards,
PeterF.
PeterF
Zen Master
Zen Master

Return to USB PC Oscilloscopes