Test and Measurement Forum

ADC-212 - data resolution

Post any questions about our parallel port products

ADC-212 - data resolution

Postby Pedro Bertoleti » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi there.
My name is Pedro Bertoleti and I work at LAT-EFEI (Itajubá-MG, Brazil).

I need some help with a PicoTech product. Here we have a PC Osciloscope ADC-212 and we have some problems is its data resolution. We developed a software in C programming language (based on the PicoTech Software Development Kit) and we are measuring with "trigger" (we set the trigger level, timebase, delay percent and interval between 2 consecutives measurements). The results of all voltage measurements are integer values, and for our application it isn´t a enough voltage resolution. We use the PicoScope software to compare the results and the problem stand still in PicoScope Software.
Are there possibilities to increase this voltage resolution to a bigger (float values) resolution?
We also verified that the maximum measurement points number is 2500. Is there a possibility to increase that points number in ADC-212?

We are buying a new PicoTech product (a PicoScope 3205). Do these problems I wrote (points number and voltage resolution) happen in PicoScope 3205?

If its possible, may you send me a complete documentation of ADC-212 and PicoScope 3205?

Att.
Pedro Bertoleti

Re: ADC-212 - data resolution

Postby PeterF » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi,
I don't recognise the problem you are having. The ADC-212 is a 12 bit scope so has 4096 discrete levels of voltage resolution on any selected voltage range. The 3205 is an 8 bit scope, so it will only have 256 discrete steps as a maximum. PicoScope6 can process the signal, when in the presence of gaussian noise, to provide some "Resolution Enhancement" on either scope:-
http://www.picotech.com/education/oscil ... ement.html
All the documentation that can be sent in contained in the relevant manuals and SDK available already on our website.
Regards,
PeterF.
PeterF
Zen Master
Zen Master

Return to Parallel Port Products