How to record the time of a signal?

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
Hervé

How to record the time of a signal?

Post by Hervé »

Hello,

I use the picoscope 3424 with a 3D geophone and a accelerometer as part of my master thesis in seismic.

For this purpose, i want to let the pico run all day (&night) long. With the new version, that's not a problem because the pico can record 32 samples. But I have a BIG problem... For me it's very important to know WHEN a seism occurs, so I need the time of my record. How can I do something like that?

Thank you in advance,

Hervé Jourquin

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: How to record the time of a signal?

Post by PeterF »

Hi Herve,
I assume you are using PicoScope6 and triggering each capture to the buffer memory. PicoScope6 does not have a real time clock so there is no way to time stamp the individual captures.
You could try PicoScope5, which has the ability to "Save on Trigger". That will generate a new data file for each triggered event. Each file will have a data/time stamp saved automatically by Windows. Will that do?
Regards,
PeterF.

GregerG

Post by GregerG »

This is a feature I as well would like to see.
I'm using a picoscope for a magnetometer to detect solar flares and other events in the Earths magnetic field,
during a chart recording this would be most useful.

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
You can now save a timed file to hard drive on a triggered event in PicoScope6. Select "Tools" then "Alarms". For "Event" select "Capture" & for "Actions" select "Add", "Alarm Action", "Save Current Buffer" & then give a path & filename. Now, whenever a capture has been triggered, a timestamped file will be saved to hard-drive. Alternatively, a "Mask" can be set-up such that the current buffer is only saved when the signal exceeds the limits of a user-defined mask. (See the "Help" file.
Regards,
PeterF.