CPU usage on laptop

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
SLarge

CPU usage on laptop

Post by SLarge »

I have already posted this as a minor bug, but I have a bit more information now.

On my laptop (Toshiba with P3/800) using ADC-212 via USB.

Running PicoScope normally, CPU usage is 35%.

Click on any menu and usage drops to about 3%, even though sampling and display is still working. Why isn't load this low all the time?

Click on Stop, and CPU usage goes up to 100%.

Since use with a laptop is a positive selling point, it should also work without draining the laptop battery!

Sounds like there is a wait/delay loop where there should be a sleep.

Simon.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

The CPU measurement you are talking about I assume is on an NT built technology operating system. This operating system will allow as much time for the process. It will also give time to other process on you PC/Laptop. Check to see what else is running.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

SLarge

CPU usage on laptop

Post by SLarge »

Yes, I am running Win2K. There are other processes running, but if I look at the task monitor, only the idle process and PicoScope clock up any significant time, and when acquisition is stopped, it is only PicoScope.

When PicoScope is running, particularly when acquisition is stopped, the fan cranks up to maximum speed and throws hot air out of the vent. All the other applications I run will trigger occasional bursts of fan activity when the processing load is high, but otherwise all is quiet and the CPU runs cool.

The fan driver is not perfect and it does occasionally run continuously for no apparent reason when CPU load is low, but in that case the air coming out of the vent is cold.

The only conclusion I can come to is that it is PicoScope which is bumping up the CPU workload, and also that it doesn't really need all that CPU time because the acquisition seems to work just as well at 3% usage when I have clicked on a menu item.

Simon.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I will try to simulate this on one of out laptops.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Autonerdz »

Not long ago I got a new laptop running XP pro. PicoScope runs great on it but after reading this, I have noticed the same thing. I don't have a resource meter that I can find, on the system, but whenever I have PicoScope open, looking at some captures or something, the cooling fan soon comes on full blast and blows hot air until I close PicoScope. Then it calms down. Running 5.09.5 automotive software.

Just though I would mantion that there does seem to be a similar condition on my machine. My old Win 98 system doesn't do that.

:shock:
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

ricardo
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by ricardo »

The high CPU usage you are experiencing is normal, PicoScope was designed for specific reasons to use as much of the available CPU resources as possible.

The next release of PicoScope will not use as much CPU resources while it is not sampling. Unfortunately I cannot give you a specific date as to when the next release will be available.
Ricardo Paloschi
Sales Engineer
Forum Moderator

andreacoppini

Post by andreacoppini »

The high CPU usage you are experiencing is normal, PicoScope was designed for specific reasons to use as much of the available CPU resources as possible.
That's very bad programming in my opinion. No software should use up 100% CPU utilisation all the time. If timing is an issue, WinNT/2k/XP has priority modes specifically to run real-time applications.

I am experiencing this issue as well. Even the mouse pointer is jerky. As has been said, everything runs fine, but the machine becomes extremely hot (I'm using a fanless industrial PC which runs WinXP SP2 on a Celeron-M 600 processor with 256Mb RAM). Since we run PicoScope all day, I am concerned it will overheat the PC or shorten the lifespan unnecessarily.