Picolog recorder is the software we use for data logging on most of our scopes and data loggers (data acquisition units to be precise). In the software :
1) You can configure which device you want to use
2) How many units you want to connect (up to 20 for USB and serialand 3 on parallel)
3) You can configure sample rate
4) You can configure how long you want to record
5) You can configure the voltage ranges
6) You can give channel names
7) You can do scaling and some channel maths.
The software sends instructions to the unit to configure it. If you wanted to achieve simillar results when writing your own software then you would need to look at our technical reference section of the user manual for the device in question. There is a list of function calls with a description of what each of them does and the parameters required. The driver is provided and some programming examples are also included. You can do the following by using the function calls:
a Configure how many units want (by calling the openunit function x amount of times for each instance with a different variable or perhaps different element in an array)
b Configure your sample rate
c How many channels
d How many samples you require
e What your voltage range is
and various other things.
Points 6 and 7 are things that you would have to come up with.
What device do you have in mind? You can find the software examples on our software download page for your specific product :
Let me know if this helps.