DDS files

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
Linners

DDS files

Post by Linners »

Hi all,
I am writing an application using visual basic. I am attempting to access external sensors but although I have created a DDS file that is read by picoscope and picolog how do I include this in my code ? Does the DLL automatically look for the DDS file or do I need to reference it somehow ?

Looking forward to the replies folks.

Regards

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

The .dds scaling file is automatically loaded in via the .dll functions, when the unit is first opened.

drdaq_open_unit

If more than one scaling file is provided for the sensor then you will have to use the following functions:

drdaq_get_scalings
drdaq_set_scaling

The way that the appropriate files are found is by the resistor placed between pin 3 (auto detect) and pin 2 (gnd) on the sensor. The value of the resistor is then put into the scaling file. The sacling file that matches the resistor will be loaded.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Post by Guest »

Mark,
Thanks for the reply. I am using a Visual Basic prog. to access the DrDaq unit. I do have all of the Picoscope directories loaded onto the machine at c:\pico but do I put my own scaling file in the directory the visual basic .exe file is run from or do I put it into the c:\pico directory ? I suppose I am asking whether the drdaq dll file 'knows' where the 'front end' application it is run from. Could I put the DDS file into the C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory along with the DrDaq.dll file ?

Regards

Linners

ahlo

I have the same problem

Post by ahlo »

I have the same problem

I have tried to put DDS file in c:\pico directory, it did not work for picoscope , picolog and visual basic as well.

I guess I did some thing wrong, but I don't know where. I did not find and example DDS file in the CD.

Can you give us an example?

Thanks

Ahlo

:?:

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

There is a full description on how to write the .DDS in the help manual, but here is the example:

Code: Select all

[Scale100]				
Resistor=330
LongName=Temperature
ShortName=TempC
Units=C
MinValue=-40
MaxValue=120
OutOfRange=0
Places=1
Method=0
Fast=Yes
NoOfPoints=32
Raw1=2.385
Scaled1=-30
Raw32=1.32
Scaled32=100
Where you see the resistor=330

This means that a resistor of 330 Ohms has been placed between the auto detect pin (Pin 3) and the ground pin (Pin 2).

For a full description of each parameter see the scaling files in the DrDaq help file.

This file should be placed in the same directory as the drdaq32.dll is found in.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Linners

Post by Linners »

Mark,
Thanks for the reply but I am afraid this doesn't help. As I have posted I can get the sensor working with the Picoscope interface having added my own DDS file BUT I can't get the DDS file to be loaded for my own visual basic program. I have tried putting it into the same directory as the .exe complied file, in the SYSTEM directory, in the pico directory but it doesn't seem to load the file. Using DrDaq_get_value still returns 32768 i.e. overvalue as it hasn't recognised the sensing resistor. (Incidently shouldn't it be in K ohms rather than ohms as in your reply ?)

Regards

Mike

Linners

Post by Linners »

Mark,
Many appologies. I had put the file into the SYSTEM not SYSTEM32 directory. I can now see that the file is in use as my prog does report the units being used. Thanks for the help. The DrDaq is really a great product and we should be placing an order for more in the next few days.

Regards from not so sunny Australia.

Linners