Latest supported PicoScope version for 2202 USB scope?

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
Perro!

Latest supported PicoScope version for 2202 USB scope?

Post by Perro! »

Hi,

I'm new here, so please forgive me if this post is in the wrong place.

I have a PicoScope 2202 USB scope but cannot see this mentioned under software downloads.

Is anyone able to tell me the latest PicoScope software version which supports my device?

Thank you

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Latest supported PicoScope version for 2202 USB scope?

Post by Martyn »

PicoScope 7 may work although we no longer perform testing against this model

https://www.picotech.com/download/softw ... Stable.exe

if not then please use the previous PicoScope 6 software

https://www.picotech.com/download/softw ... _14_69.exe
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

G-son
User
User

Post by G-son »

I have a 2203, I'm guessing they behave the same. It will work in Pico 7, although a bug reduces the available memory in the software*. Pico 6 works fine.

*The scope can have up to 2MS per channel in a waveform when streaming. In Pico 6 software you have a 100MS total limit in the software meaning you can have close to 25 waveforms using two channels at 2MS each or close to 50 waveforms running a single channel. In Pico 7 the bug limits TOTAL memory to 2MS per channel, meaning you can only get one single waveform at 2MS/channel, to get more waveforms in the buffer you need to reduce the amount of samples.

I have both software versions and use them both, 6 when properly working memory size is helpful and 7 when the newer features available there is more important.

aqibi2000

Post by aqibi2000 »

G-son wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:45 am
I have a 2203, I'm guessing they behave the same. It will work in Pico 7, although a bug reduces the available memory in the software*. Pico 6 works fine.

*The scope can have up to 2MS per channel in a waveform when streaming. In Pico 6 software you have a 100MS total limit in the software meaning you can have close to 25 waveforms using two channels at 2MS each or close to 50 waveforms running a single channel. In Pico 7 the bug limits TOTAL memory to 2MS per channel, meaning you can only get one single waveform at 2MS/channel, to get more waveforms in the buffer you need to reduce the amount of samples.

I have both software versions and use them both, 6 when properly working memory size is helpful and 7 when the newer features available there is more important.

Has this memory leak type issue been fixed now so we can use the 2202 with Pico 7? Surely it’s something simple

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

It's not a memory leak, it is a hard coded limit in the software, and if you use block mode captures you can collect much more data.

Please remember this is a very old discontinued scope, yet is able to make use of many of the new features we have added to the software which we provide free of charge.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

G-son
User
User

Post by G-son »

Made a couple of test runs with Pico 7 in block mode with settings that uses the entire 8kS buffer in the scope, I got 8384 waveforms max at that setting, meaning a little more than 67MS in total. So yes, in block mode you indeed get a rather large amount of memory in total, and it will work well any time 8kS max per waveform gives you enough resolution.

Unfortunately I mostly need/want longer waveforms with a high resolution to zoom in at, so most of the time I'm in streaming mode maxing out the 2MS/channel waveform memory and unless a single waveform is enough that means I'm running Pico 6.

As Martyn points out these scopes are rather old now, I think mine is 16 years, and I'm amazed it still can use the latest versions of the software with a bunch of new features, I'm not sure of anywhere else you can get that kind of product support that long. The reduced memory when streaming is the only thing I have noticed that is a step down from the previous Pico 6 software, and it'll only be a issue when you want to use the streaming mode - which unfortunately happens to be my most common use.

Anyway. I bought the 2203 a few years back because I was curious about how Picoscopes are to use but didn't want to spend the money a brand new one costs just out of curiosity. For that purpose it has been a total success and while I don't have the money to upgrade to a model I really want now I know I like those scopes and the software they run, and I have figured out what specifications will be important to me when I upgrade. Things like more memory, more channels (don't need it often, but when you do it really helps) and DC offset (I really hate wasting half the vertical resolution on negative voltages when measuring a positive voltage signal where no negative voltages can occur).
Attachments
Pico7wfrms.jpg