Measurement logging add sample rate to the function

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
mnni

Measurement logging add sample rate to the function

Post by mnni »

Hi
in the lab with different scopes and picoscope 6 i have been using the the CLI interface for remote controlling of the scope
doing this in order to use the scope as a data logger with the recorded measurement data
that i have been capturing with the csv argument "PicoScope.com /a Measurements.CSV?"
i done both a python program socket server and labview program translating the measurements into shared variables

anyhow it not been working that well with the PS5000 and PS4000 scope as i am experiencing the "PicoScope.com /a Measurements.CSV?" call to stall when there is more that a few measurement and long counts and i have not been able to figure out that error and it seems like the scope is just returning a stream of spaces
the idea behind this was to have the scope view running at all the time but i guess i should perhaps just had skipped this and coded something directly with the API

Anyway i had a look at picoscope 7 early access
and it seems like you now are addressing this need of long term logging of measurements and that is great

but i have a few things

1) add a sample rate option:
to be able to set the log rate of the file
2) option to select deliminator of the csv file or skip this format or just default use ";"
using "," as deliminator gives issue with EU number format and is just super annoying to have to handle and is just bad format in general
3) Option to overwrite existing file when the file with a given file name already exist

4) work around using picoscope 7 as it sound like the CLI interface for picoscope 7 is not something coming any time soon

anyhow i was thinking about setting up some actions that call a program that reads the saved csv measurement file pass the data to my lab data-logging system and then delete the csv file and start up a new capture in order not to accumulate up to many files every time a new logging is started and a new file is given and see how that runs.
any other suggestions ?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Measurement logging add sample rate to the function

Post by Martyn »

Measurement logging is a new feature in PicoScope 7, and we are encouraging user feedback so that we can make improvements. Your comments are most welcome and the relevant teams have been maded aware of them.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

river

Post by river »

+1 that setting a log rate would be very helpful. I've been using this for logging frequency and it looks like the data is logged every 1 - 2 seconds. Having the option to log roughly every 0.1 - 10 seconds would be very helpful.

Willem43

Post by Willem43 »

mnni wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:42 am
2) option to select deliminator of the csv file or skip this format or just default use ";"
using "," as deliminator gives issue with EU number format and is just super annoying to have to handle and is just bad format in general
I am on Windows so I changed the "List Separator" in "Custom Format" to a ";" (the default is a ",") and the log file field separator is now a ";". I read somewhere (??) that the logging file uses the Windows system settings and that seems to be the case, I am OK with that.