Picoscope 7 (Linux), Font and Icon size...

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
Metalabs

Picoscope 7 (Linux), Font and Icon size...

Post by Metalabs »

Hi,

Picoscope 7 on Linux, most recent version, also prior ones, stable as well as earlyaccess...

How can one make the fonts and icons _much_ larger?

Usually we use picoscope 6, because we strongly prefer the clear standard text menus over the GUI of picoscope 7.
But I am damned to use picoscope 7 on a notebook with a 14" 4k+ OLED screen (Lenovo Yoga G8). The icons are about 2mm in size each, and all the texts are seriously only readable using a magnifier glass.
I searched all the menus and buttons several times, but did not manage to find any option to change that.
My current workaround is to scale the whole linux desktop to 30% for the time I have to use picoscope, which of course enlarges all the other programs to ridiculous proportions.

Thanks in advance!

Metalabs

Re: Picoscope 7 (Linux), Font and Icon size...

Post by Metalabs »

A screenshot to show the problem...
Attachments
Screenshot_2023-10-26_16-59-44.jpg

chmr

Post by chmr »

Edit the .local/share/applications/picotech-picoscope.desktop file so that the Exec line reads:

Code: Select all

Exec=env GDK_SCALE=3 /usr/bin/picoscope %U
or just execute it manually in a terminal with

Code: Select all

GDK_SCALE=3 picoscope

devbod

Post by devbod »

New to picoscopes having just installed this to evaluate and hit the same problem. If you are new to the software it makes it completely unusable. The fix above didnt work for me (Ubuntu 22.04). This appears to be because it uses the Wayland back end. Switch to X11 and the other parameter works as expected. The command:

GDK_BACKEND=x11 GDK_SCALE=2 picoscope

...works for me but as other poster suggested a 4K laptop display probably needs a 3.