PicoSoft 7 manual

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
Bob Mehew
User
User

PicoSoft 7 manual

Post by Bob Mehew »

Is there a manual explaining how to use PicoSoft 7? Whilst it looks like a major advance on version 6, I am finding it almost impossible to use. For example I would like to measure the average value between the rulers but it only gives me the average for the whole wave form. I would also like to save a sub set of the whole wave form as identified by the rulers but the "Choose range" feature in the Save function does not appear to recognise any input.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PicoSoft 7 manual

Post by Martyn »

There is no manual for PicoScope 7 and it isn't something we are currently planning to produce.

With respect to measuring between cursors if you click on the measurement you will get a pop up window that allows the setting of additional parameters. We are changing measurements as we add new ones so that this will pop up by default when adding a measurement.

As with PicoScope 6 it is not possible to select a subset of data from the waveform to save by using the rulers, the choosing in the Save Dialog references waveform buffers.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Fonte

Post by Fonte »

"There is no manual for PicoScope 7 and it isn't something we are currently planning to produce."

Hmmm. Very bad. I had also difficulties. For instance, the "Sampling" setting is where?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

You can find this in the sampling tab of the Scope settings window as shown here
SlowSamplingTransition.png
Martyn

scottdky

Post by scottdky »

"There is no manual for PicoScope 7 and it isn't something we are currently planning to produce."

Really?!! You can't pay a guy for a few days of work to update the manual? Speaking of which, the current v6 manual leaves a lot to be desired. If you can't find anyone in-house that can write a good manual, perhaps you should try a freelance technical writer to do so.

The current state of the manual really pulls down the desirability of your products. You should really consider getting someone to do it right and up to date. A good manual for this type of software shouldn't take more than a week or two to write. I have written software manuals much longer than this in just a few days (when I was younger - I am not as fast now).

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The Help button in the application takes you to the A to Z of oscilloscopes page on our website

https://www.picotech.com/library/a-to-z

and we will be introducing info links in the application to take you to specific pages in the A to Z
Martyn

guilleds

Post by guilleds »

It is not serious to release a new version of software and not update the user manual. Some things may be intuitive and others may be known by more experienced users, but new users who have just started using the app since version 7 have no reference for anything, and we have to start guessing where things are. :evil:

NoNamePico

Post by NoNamePico »

How many companies release an update/overhaul to their software, for use with their products and respond to their customers requests for an updated user manual to accompany this, by saying its not something that the company is considering producing...? These are customers of your products, yet you have no interest in providing support (other than an infuriatingly amateurish YouTube channel).

I have a PicoScope 2206B, I've connected the electrode to a pressure transducer. This pressure transducer is emitting a signal. What I want to do is record this signal over a period of time so that I can calibrate the voltage output to the pressure within my system. The PicoSoft 7 software is not intuitive, I have a single wave between -5 and +5 us. I want to start at 0, record for an undisclosed period of time, and observe the pressure/voltage over time. How do I achieve this?

Hence why I think the YouTube channel is abysmal and the lack of documentation totally unprofessional.

Randyz

Post by Randyz »

I have almost no experience with oscilloscopes so I bought this inexpensive one, 2204A, to learn on. The fact that there is no manual for the new version of the software makes this absolutely useless to me. The manual for the previous software shows a screen that is not even close to what it is now. Telling a customer to rely on YouTube and forums for instructions is lazy and unprofessional on the part of the company. I live in Thailand so returning this would be very difficult. My Amazon review will reflect this.

timrobbinsfromoz

Post by timrobbinsfromoz »

I have latest 7 version with a 4224A. Somehow I now have Spectrum 1 view as the default view. I can add and close other views, including additional Spectrum views, but I can't close all the spectrum views. How can I close the Spectrum view and only have the scope view open? There doesn't seem to be any menu options, or right-click menu, or help associated with V7, compared to V6.

timrobbinsfromoz

Post by timrobbinsfromoz »

OK I should have used the top 'Instruments' menu to just choose Scope. Learning curve.

adewdney

Post by adewdney »

I am fairly new to PicoScope, and although I have been using "conventional" scopes for many years, software details on settings menus, the logic behind sampling rate, time/div and the FFT for example would be extremely useful. I am also struggling a bit with triggered sweeping of the waveform generator and some details for V7 (the V6 is a bit sparse already) would be a big improvment.
Pity, because otherwise the PicoScopes are a very useful device.

Lookovic

Post by Lookovic »

Good afternoon. There is such a question. I saved data from 40 consecutive signals of 20 ms each. Can I make them one chart instead of 40 individually?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

There will be gaps in data collection between the 40 waveforms so it would not make sense to stitch them together.
Martyn