Hello and basic question

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, and what you do
Dicky_G
User
User

Hello and basic question

Post by Dicky_G »

Hello,
I am Richard and I live near Oxford, UK.
I have just purchased a 2205A Picoscope for hobby purposes and would appreciate an answer to the following:
How do you compare the outputs of two channels if only one of them can be triggered?
Many thanks

G-son
User
User

Re: Hello and basic question

Post by G-son »

You may need to elaborate on how you mean.

Dicky_G
User
User

Post by Dicky_G »

Thank you G-son.
My experiments so far suggest that if two traces are displayed only one of them can be triggered. I am trying to calibrate the frequency of a signal generator by matching it against the AWG output but I have to choose which waveform is to be triggered. The other waveform is then untriggered and moves across the screen, so it is not possible to align them to make a comparison. Does that help?

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

if you want to calibrate the frequency then the both cannels should be perfectly still (only shifted) but not moving if you are triggering on one of them does not matter then on witch of the outputs you trigger.

Benno

Dicky_G
User
User

Post by Dicky_G »

That makes sense - thank you bennog.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

You can take a reference waveform of a known good signal and then use this to compare with the signal you wish to tune.

In your case setup the trigger on the AWG and capture a waveform. Now make a reference wavefrom from this capture, then turn off the AWG channel but leave the reference on screen. Now trigger on your generator signal and make adjustments until it matches the reference signal
Martyn
Technical Support Manager