How to measure piezo microphone voltage?

Having problems ? let us know the details here
rostspik
User
User

How to measure piezo microphone voltage?

Post by rostspik »

Hello, I bought a bag of assorted piezo sensors and microphones and I am worried about whether they can fry my arduino board so I have ordered a PicoScope 2206B MSO and hope I can measure how big a current/voltage spike the piezo microphone gives when I snap it (I thought I could use them to make diy drums).

I have understood that I should not connect the breadboard to usb since then the breadboard's signal ground = usb ground = picoscope ground = earth ground, increasing the risk of dangerous short circuits. So I thought maybe I can measure what the drumstick snap voltage would be by either connecting it to a breadboard without a battery or a breadboard with a battery.

Do I just put connect the probe's ground with one leg and the probe's point with the other leg and then snap it with my finger or a drumstick? Or will that create one of those dangerous short circuits?

Okay I made some more research and if I understood it correctly the dangerous thing is if you accidentally touch the ground of the probe on something with a voltage difference relative to the picoscope's ground. If the ground is removed from the probe there should be less risk? Or if the breadboard is floating and I don't accidentally touch different things with the two probes' grounds it should be ok?