PicoScope 4824A

Which product is right for your exact requirements
Gavin Melville
User
User

PicoScope 4824A

Post by Gavin Melville »

Hi,

I need to sample 4 channels of analog DC voltage at 1MHz - for 8-12 hours. The actual bandwidth will be 100kHz, but I will need 10x oversampling. (I have assumed 16 bits per sample, 10 times oversampling and 12 hours, which I may be able to trim a little.)

Is the 4824A suitable - this is about 350Gb. The spec sheet says streaming to the limit of PC memory, but does that mean disk as well, and RAM only ?

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: PicoScope 4824A

Post by bennog »

you can save to disk, the medium need to be capable of writing 16MB/sec sustained over the entire sampling period.

I would do this asynchronically because the disk can have a hiccup of 50ms to 1000ms.

Benno

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

If this a continuous data capture then you would need to write your own application to do this. We provide an SDK and example code in a number of languages to show how to do this.

For information the returned data is 16bit per sample but please note the hardware ADC resolution is 12bit.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Gavin Melville
User
User

Post by Gavin Melville »

bennog wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:44 am
you can save to disk, the medium need to be capable of writing 16MB/sec sustained over the entire sampling period.

4 channels x 2 bytes = 8MB/s, or do I have to take all 8 channels ?.

I would do this asynchronically because the disk can have a hiccup of 50ms to 1000ms.
Understood - can I use the buffer in the 'scope as a FIFO ?

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

You probably can.

Most times I go for a 2 thread approach and a large FiFo in-between buffer of 200MB or so.
If you do this right you can do this in a non blocking way and use the picoscope buffer for hiccups in the USB communication.
And I always do this in C++ because that is my native language.

Benno