Using a CM3 for data logging mains

Post any questions you may have about our current range of USB data loggers
Arnot

Using a CM3 for data logging mains

Post by Arnot »

So, I want to be able to measure and data log the incoming mains supply to a house preparatory to designing a multiple source integrated power and heating system. This will involve solar, ground source, and a standby generator. It's a large house in a relatively isolated location so it needs to be able to operate "off grid" when required maybe for a week or two.

I would like to start the ball rolling with hard data so I want to log the incoming voltage and current for two or three months over the winter so I can specify the rest of the system. Then when the system is installed I want to be able to monitor two current sources and the voltage at the same time to evaluate load balancing.

Obviously I need a CM3 and I may as well get a bunch of three current clamps. What I'm having difficulty with is working out what voltage probe I will need. Any ideas out there?

I need the current clamps to operate from the Apple laptop that will be used to record the data rather than batteries so they won't stop working without warning or helpfully turn themselves off. It looks to me as though the supplied clamps will do this.

I also picked up a throwaway comment that the logging cannot extend beyond 30 days but this may only apply to the cloud based system. If not can the CM3 be restarted remotely or will it require a site visit?

Kind Regards
Arnot