Using 2408 to monitor DCC signal when controller is attached to PC by USB

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
RAF96

Using 2408 to monitor DCC signal when controller is attached to PC by USB

Post by RAF96 »

I want to be able to monitor the DCC signal produced by my Hornby Elite DCC controller when it is running in conjunction with a software program on my PC. The Elite controller is in Comms with the PC by USB.
I am acutely aware of the Pico warnings about parallel grounds when a 2408 is also attached to the same PC by USB.
Previously I have monitored the DCC signal with the Elite controller stand-alone from the PC, i.e. operating manually not in conjunction with the model railway operating software.
Am I safe to have both the DCC controller and the 2408 connected at the same time to the same PC, as the monitoring of the software is next on my to-do list.

martin_k
User
User

Re: Using 2408 to monitor DCC signal when controller is attached to PC by USB

Post by martin_k »

Hello RAF96, I am hoping you still get alerts from the Pico forum.

I too am trying to understand grounding in the operation of Picscope and USB. You say;

"I am acutely aware of the Pico warnings about parallel grounds when a 2408 is also attached to the same PC by USB".

Can you tell me where to find these Pico warnings?

Regards,
Martin.

RAF96

Re: Using 2408 to monitor DCC signal when controller is attached to PC by USB

Post by RAF96 »

Hi Martin
Apologies for the late reply, I didn’t have notifications turned on.
This is where I spotted the warning…
https://www.picotech.com/library/oscill ... usb-type-c
I would think I may have answered my own question if I used a blue Pico USB cable for both my devices or at least checked the non-Pico device cable had an isolated sheath at one end.
I was a bit disappointed Pico hadn’t responded as it is in their bailliwick.

Edit - an electronic guru friend gives this advice - The only way that one would be absolutely safe would be if one was using a battery powered scope while only using one scope "ground" - hence a true floating measurement.
Unfortunately the closest we can get to this is to have our USB devices plugged into a laptop which is running on battery power rather than mains, which would provide a similar floating ground.
Rob