Programming Pico TC-08 with MacOS solution

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
Bilby42

Programming Pico TC-08 with MacOS solution

Post by Bilby42 »

I had problems programmatically controlling a PICO TC-08 using MacOS (Big Sur). Installation of PicoLog worked perfectly and I could read the hardware correctly. So I downloaded the PicoSDK from picotech.com and the Python pip modules to supply the Python demos scripts.

First issue was setting the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the location of the SDK installation. On the Mac this only worked by browsing inside the PicoSDK.frameworks file to determine the full path to the pylib file. On my Mac this turned out to be "/Library/Frameworks/PicoSDK.framework/Libraries/libusbtc08/"

However the demos still didn't work, giving the error message "picosdk.errors.CannotFindPicoSDKError: PicoSDK (usbtc08) not found, check LD_LIBRARY_PATH".

After digging into the Python framework libraries, it appears the environment variable should be "DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH", not "LD_LIBRARY_PATH".

Setting the environment variable DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to the full internal framework path worked for me.

Hope this helps someone :-)

eklektek

Re: Programming Pico TC-08 with MacOS solution

Post by eklektek »

Billy thanks for the time you spent on this. Saved me lots of time.
Having already installed PicoLog my first value for
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH was /Applications/PicoLog.app/Contents/Resources

However then I finally understood the PicoTech instructions and found PicoSDK download for macOS which is here:
https://www.picotech.com/downloads/_lig ... /macos-sdk

Then like yourself I set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to /Library/Frameworks/PicoSDK.framework/Libraries/libusbtc08

Both worked, but opted for the latter.