Suggestions on Pico 2206B application

Post discussions on projects you are working on
Brynog

Suggestions on Pico 2206B application

Post by Brynog »

Hey

I am running a Picoscope 2206B on a Raspberry Pi using the Python examples. I got everything running and tested various examples (Streaming, SigGen, Block, etc.). So far so good.

Now I'm writing the actual Python driver for my application. I want to collect radio station data (f usually < 500KHz) and log the raw data to a file. The sample runs will be quite long, anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes or so. I can then do post-processing of it after the run is complete.

My question concerns my technique. What are the pitfalls of using the basic streaming method? Should I employ multiple internal buffers? How do I handle disparities between my write-to-flash speed versus my Pico-fills-buffers speed? If I have to I suppose I can quickly stop and resume, but that loses some of the signal and I'd prefer to avoid this.

Anyways, what are some suggestions for how to approach this, and is there any additional examples of applications which handle something like this (30-minutes of sampling and writing to flash).

Regards,
Bryce

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Suggestions on Pico 2206B application

Post by bennog »

I would use 2 thread 1 for reading the dat from the scope. and 1 for writing raw data to the disk.
Go for a ring buffer of about 10-20 MByte as large as possible. (20MB will give a 20 sec buffer before your head pointer will catch up with the tail pointer.

Benno