7 running on PopOS 21.10

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
teletypeguy

7 running on PopOS 21.10

Post by teletypeguy »

Hi all:

New here and new to picoscopes (but 40 years ee).

Just a fyi for linux users that I just loaded version 7.0.91.10273 on Pop!_OS 21.10 (used the ubuntu 20.04 ver).

A few warnings during install, but runs and looks solid so far -- I like the scope interface and feature set as I start to play with it.

One quick question: where do I set fft windowing (rect, hann, bm-h, hamming, ft...)?

Gil

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 7 running on PopOS 21.10

Post by Martyn »

Select instruments on the top bar, then Spectrum. You should then be able to select the Spectrum Lozenge on the top bar to bring up the settings panel shown in the image
Attachments
SpectrumSettings.png
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

teletypeguy

Post by teletypeguy »

Thanks Martyn. Found it. I am liking the scope and v7 look and feel.
Not sure whether this is right place for bug reports, but found a crash:
-connect 3206D MSO
- run V7
- turn on D0
- click Trigger, then
- click D0 >> crash
The several Dx inputs I tried to use as a trigger also crashed. Is there a workaround?
thx

teletypeguy

Post by teletypeguy »

Hmm. Has anyone used V7, on any linux distro, and seen the same crash when selecting a Dx input as trigger (or does it work on some distros)? I also have a mint system I could try it on, and will load another distro if one works properly. I am on ubuntu-based pop-os and this is picoscope's digital section is unusable. After decades of windows problems I have moved fully to linux so win is not an option for dev tools anymore. I had hoped to learn the picoscope and get some work done this weekend but had to pull out my trusty old saleae logic pod -- their linux prog was no-install other than poking a rules file in place, and I was running in minutes. Wish the picoscope was that easy. I have more analog horsespower on my bench scopes -- I got this pico for the portability, 16-chan MSO capability, and programmability. Pardon the rant but this has been frustrating. Hopefully the software will evolve to a stable state.
A couple of would-like things: the period measurement really should also show freq as well, and I would like a preference to be able to swap the +/- buttons on the controls, as they feel backwards to me.
thx, gil

teletypeguy

Post by teletypeguy »

So I was a bit grumpy the other day when v7 was crashing every time I selected a digital input as a trigger, and yeah, I am really wanting to try out the decoders and such when that is working. But I have been spending some time with the analog section and it has been solid and is quite nice to use. Still exploring.

SA is pretty nice. The zoom box and ability to resize/drag/click the little box around is handy. I see that dragging in the amplitude scale moves the display up and down, but dragging the freq scale does not. Would actually be nice to just click and drag anywhere in the graph to move it, but can get there with the zoom box so not complaining. The vertical scale is controlled by amplitude control, of course, but would be nice to have more control of vertical graph between those amplitude steps, like mandate 20/10/6/3/1 dB/div or so. When zooming down near bottom of the graph, dB annotations end at -80 or -70. A display of dB/div would be handy. Would be nice to click (and drag around) on the graph or a peak to get amplitude/freq. Would be nice to click on a point on the graph to set that amplitude as zero dB, then drag a cursor down to -3dB... I will likely find that a lot of that can be done with tools I have not found yet in the app, so this is just first impression notes. I want to try the gain/phase capability and compare to my keysight. Still many features to find, but other than the digital trigger crash, this v7 has been running well on my pop-os linux.
gil