I have managed to get it all working (on my own!).
The problem was that the old software was using MSCOMM to negotiate with the LPT port.
As soon as I got rid of all that and used port 101 and the adc200_open_unit(port) everything burst into life
I still would like to use my shiney new PS2205 instead of the old ADC200 units. You would think that the revenue it would generate for Picotech (we require around 18 units) they would try and help solve the problems or at least explain the issues involved in making a PS2205 work instead of the old ADC200 units.
If I can not solve these issues, I will stick with the old kit and be done with it!!!!
Anyway, if anyone reads this, let me know if you can help in any way.