Incorrect values in Picolog 6

Forum for discussing PicoLog
bremenpl

Incorrect values in Picolog 6

Post by bremenpl »

Hello there,
For few days I am testing the Pico 3406D MSO scope with Picolog 6 software. I am having a lot of trouble using this SW (While Picoscope 6 works correctly). Here are the problems I experienced:

Day 1: everything seems to be working correctly- I could log the data and view graphs in Picolog 6.
Day 2: the graphs after logging are no longer visible. I could see the data only in the Picolog 6 tables and when exported to i.e. CSV.
Day 3: The voltage on the connected channel is 0 V all the time. When opened in Picoscope 6 in same conditions, the voltage level is adequate to the voltage on the DUT. Logged data also shows 0 V.

What can be the case here? Is there a way do reset Picolog to default state? I can provide more info if needed. I would appreciate all help.
Attachments
picoscope.png
picolog.png

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Incorrect values in Picolog 6

Post by Martyn »

Have you started the recording by pressing the red button in the middle at the top?
How have you configured the channel?

FYI the reset button is the one to the right of the record button.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

bremenpl

Post by bremenpl »

Hi there,
The reset button only resets the data. I have tried it. The channel voltage was there bo matter whether the measurement was ongoing or not. The channel was configured like this:
20v p-p
Ac coupling
1:1 probe
20 ms period sample rate

But it does not really matter ehat I set there. I see the voltage as 0 V or sometimes as few uV since today.

From the begining I could also see that when logging data, there are gaps in the logged data (no values for voltage in the CSV file). I could show that log, but now I cannot log any values, as they are 0 V...

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The reset button also gives the option to reset the configuration.

Your issue is AC coupling, a DC signal would be blocked and so you would measure 0V. The PicoScope 6 screenshot shows that it is set to DC coupling.
Martyn

bremenpl

Post by bremenpl »

Martyn,
Thank you for your answer- indeed that was the case, I missed that! So now I tried to perform a test log again. I noticed the following issues:
1. Even if I pause the logging, the process goes on until the end of specified by me interval (i.e. 1 minute I found to be the minimum option).
2. In the exported CSV file it can be seen that the amount of samples matches the time at pause (so its only a GUI issue).
3. In the exported CSV there are "empty voltage gaps" I have mentioned before. In https://pastebin.com/RvJWqYgg exemplary log it can be seen in lines 860 and 1427. The sampling was done with 20 ms rate.

My channel settings are attached. Could you please confirm whether items 1 and 2 are known issues and whether there is a fix for the item 3? I would appreciate your further feedback!
Attachments
chan.png

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

If you set up a logging session to run for a set time, the software will create a file covering the whole time regardless of whether any logger is active and collecting data. So 1 and 2 are the expected behaviour.

What 3 is indicating is that the driver has temporarily lost communication with the device, some samples have been missed, and then the connection has been restored and samples are collected again. If you can send in full details of your PC, O/S and the setup of your logging sessions to support@picotech.com then the team will be able to work through to identify the likely cause for this.
Martyn

bremenpl

Post by bremenpl »

Hi Martyn,
Thank you for the answers!

bremenpl

Post by bremenpl »

Hi Martyn,
I have been in contact with the support for a longer while. I still experience both of the problems with PicoLog 6 and the support does not seem to be able to provide any relevant feedback. What does not work in Picolog 6:

1. The voltage measured by the scope is always bellow few mV (it does not matter whether I set DC or AC coupling). At the same time, the PicoScope 6 software measures the voltage correctly.

2. Picolog 6 software keep "loosing" the voltage measurement points during data recording. The shorter the log interval I set, the more data (and more often) is being lost. I don't agree that this is related to the scope being disconnected from the USB, as the link is stable (as informed by the OS) during the whole process.

What other options do I have when it comes for the support for this product? It does not work correctly and I cannot use it for the purposes it was purchased for.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Can you post a .psdata and a .picolog showing you measuring the battery , but where the applications are showing different values.

File->Save and just save the current buffer in PicoScope 6, and for PicoLog 6 click on the disk item at the top.
Martyn

bremenpl

Post by bremenpl »

Hello there,
Please find the package with the following inside:
picoscope_6_buffer.psdata - buffer from the PicoScope 6 software,
picolog_6_config.picolog - Picolog 6 config
picolog_6_data.picolog - Picolog 6 recording for 1 minute.
bat.jpg - battery picture with multimeter reading.

Thank you for the answer and I would appreciate your further feedback.
Attachments
pico.rar
(3.45 MiB) Downloaded 334 times

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I can see no data in the PicoLog 6 file, did you start the recording and let it run for a little while?

edit
I can see data but it is all zero, and so it can't draw a graph.

Can you navigate to C:\Users\{your login name}\AppData\Local\PicoLog

and delete everything in there. Then restart the application and try to create a new .picolog file
Martyn

bremenpl

Post by bremenpl »

Hi,
Thank you for the answer. Yes, you cannot see anything because Picolog sees no voltage (see attachment). I have deleted all of the files from the dir you have mentioned. Redid the measurements. Now the values are visible, but they are measured in few uV-mV instead of close to the actual battery voltage
Attachments
Apr 26, 2021 2-21-40 PM.rar
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
no_voltage.png

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I have tried with a 3204D MSO and a 1.5V battery, using the default channel settings, and I am getting the correct voltage in both PicoScope 6 and PicoLog 6. Can you try to see if only affects one channel, try enabling all and move the BNC across the channels during the collection.
Martyn

bremenpl

Post by bremenpl »

I have tried what you suggested before- all channels had the same problem.

Interesting thing is that when I have opened PicoLog 6 now, the voltage was read correctly again (see attachment). I have experienced this before. So now when I logged the voltage, it was indeed visible (see attachment, apart from the bug introducing data gaps). Lats time I experienced this, it was simply a matter of opening the PicoLog 6 again to see the voltage is not there anymore. Is there a way I can somehow provide logs to you so you could debug the application?
Attachments
Apr 26, 2021 3-54-45 PM.rar
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
voltage.png