Allow streaming mode once sampling rate is constrained by block buffer size

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
miles

Allow streaming mode once sampling rate is constrained by block buffer size

Post by miles »

We can only enable streaming mode if collection time is 1 second or longer (200 ms/div). It should be possible to use streaming for shorter durations if that allows greater sampling rates than what you could achieve in block mode due to buffer size limitations.

For example, the 2204A has a very small 8 kS buffer, and streams at 1 MS/s. So if collecting more than 8ms of single-channel data, then streaming provides a greater sampling rate. But in the "Slow Sampling Transition" menu, the smallest collection time we can enable streaming for is 1 second. The "Slow" label is actually misleading in this situation, since it actually enables transitioning to a faster sampling rate. The minimum possible collection time for transitioning to streaming mode should be 10ms (or 5ms if two channels are active). It would be even better to provide another option such as "Use streaming when it enables a higher sampling rate than block mode" and let the software automatically calculate whether to use streaming or block mode. It would also be nice to see the current "mode" (streaming or block) in the properties view.

Side note: I wanted to include some images in this post, but I can't figure out how to get that to work. I'm getting this error: "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct." So including the tags I'm using in code snippets instead so forum admins can help with troubleshooting.

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.imgur.com/1Fb1iwI.png[/img]
12.21 kS/s at 500ms collection time. As an aside, I don't know why this isn't using the full 8 kS buffer and sampling at 16 kS/s.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iw8AIvd.png[/img]
1 MS/s at 1 s collection time after transitioning to "slow" streaming mode, which is actually 80x faster.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jwJTCq0.png[/img]
Current options with a minimum collection time for streaming mode of 1 second.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Allow streaming mode once sampling rate is constrained by block buffer size

Post by Martyn »

To add files
add files.png
then add the file you want and select Preview which should then refresh the page so that you can see the file to add inline
place inline.png
This is a workaround and we are looking for a solution.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

miles

Re: Allow streaming mode once sampling rate is constrained by block buffer size

Post by miles »

Those image attaching steps you described are not working for me. The "add files" button lets me select an image to upload, but then no uploaded images are listed for me to include in my message.
Tested on Firefox 85 and Chrome 88.