Alternating use of two PicoScopes 4224 in rapid block mode

Post discussions on applications you are writing
student
User
User

Alternating use of two PicoScopes 4224 in rapid block mode

Post by student »

Hi,

I try to write a Matlab programm combining two PicoScope 4224. The goal is to capture signals by a photomultiplier. Neither the time between the signals nor the amount of signals is known in advance. Approximately a signal lasts for up to 40ms.

Since the signals might be minutes apart, one captures a lot of unneeded data in streaming mode. Hence I tend to use rapid block mode. What I am trying right now is combining the two PicoScopes to achieve some sort of "continuous" rapid block mode, which should work like this:
PicoScope A starts waiting for the trigger event. After (for example) 7 of 8 captured signals, PicoScope B starts running rapid block mode as well. The overleap should prevent missing a signal. While B waits for trigger events and captures the signals, A should transfer the gathered data to the computer. The capturing and transferring of data alternates between the PicoScope units. Idealy this should allow to capture data in rapid block mode indefinitely.

I read that counting the triggers is not possible. Is there another way of determining when to trigger PicoScope B (or A) while the other PicoScope is still sampling?
If this is not possible I thought about alternating between the PicoScopes after a certain time. The problem is that I do not know if the PicoScope even triggered once/ recorded any data.

Is using streaming mode my best bet?

Are there other products that might enable such "continuous" rapid block mode?

Any help and new ideas are greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
student

Anna
User
User

Re: Alternating use of two PicoScopes 4224 in rapid block mode

Post by Anna »

Hi Student,
I am also using a picoscope for PMT readout. Maybe we could speak more directly than here? I have an application which does an "almost" continuous readout using rapid block mode. My application is measuring the rate of pulses as well as producing a PE spectrum live. However, it does make breaks because I am using only one device.
Maybe you could explain, why there must not be a break between taking data? This would help to find a suitable solution.
Please send the approximate rate and the duration of your signal as well as your desired sampling frequency.
Best wishes,
Anna