USB drivers - damaged device ?

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
ray@unreal64.net

USB drivers - damaged device ?

Post by ray@unreal64.net »

Hello,

I run in trouble with Picoscope 3206D MSO. I am using Win7PRO with AMD hardware (Ryzen 7 2700/32G RAM). Updated. I have external powered USB3 hub (some generic Unitec). This hub connects some CPU programmers/JTAG devices and Picoscope. Until yesterday, everything worked well. Oscilloscope was used last time week ago. Yesterday I run Picoscope SW (latest stable) and it didn't found device. This somethimes happened, so, reboot, drivers reinstall, ... standard win crap. But still nothing :( Other devices connected to that USB hubs works correctly. I tried to change ports @ hub/PC. No change at all. Picoscope can be in 2 states.

1. I don't see devide @ device tree view (I can see others devices @ hub - but no 'unknown' dev)
2. I can see "Picoscope 3000 series PC Oscilloscope" at hub

In both cases Picoscope 6 didn't found any device.

I tried to search FAQ/etc. but I didn't found anytning usefull.

Is there any 'tool' which can test connection to device itselfs ? It is possible device is damaged ? (there is objective reason for that). Device is ~half year old.

Thank you !
R.

ray@unreal64.net

Re: USB drivers - damaged device ?

Post by ray@unreal64.net »

I found strange behaviour: before starting up software I can see device @ usb tree. Everything is OK here (drivers, state, ...). After starting up application no device will be found *AND* USB device disapear from usb tree. Completly & silently. After reconecting oscilloscopue device is back in USB tree. This is how previously mentonied 2 states are exchanged. This is repeatable every time.

R.

jjj123456

Post by jjj123456 »

hi, i had the same problem, picoscop did the same the moment i started the picoscope6 the USB device disappeared from the list. I fixed this problem by replacing the USB3.0 cable with the original. I think that the original power adapter can also help, but I have not verified it.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Sorry for not seeing the original post, if you are still experiencing problems it may be due to software updates, obviously not with the Windows 7 which should be fully patched to the last version from Microsoft, but maybe some other system update, or an update to the PicoScope software.

It is normal for the device to disappear from Device Manager when the software starts, at this point the full firmware is loaded into the device and it is restarted. Normally the device should then reappear and the software starts up correctly.

If the device doesn't restart then it is worth checking the trace.xml file to look at what the software thinks is happening. You can find the trace file by following the directions in section 3 of

https://www.picotech.com/download/manua ... stions.pdf

please send this file to support@picotech.com and the team can advise.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager