2000 series not compatible with pico 7 software?

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
mazzerman
User
User

2000 series not compatible with pico 7 software?

Post by mazzerman »

Hi guys
Iv just got my 1st Pico 2204A but in Pico 7 software it says its not compatible.
Can i only use Pico 6 non automotive with my unit? when i also try Pico 6 Automotive i just get no suitable device found.
Any advice please?

NeilH
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Re: 2000 series not compatible with pico 7 software?

Post by NeilH »

Hi

The current beta version of PicoScope 7 is the automotive version so only compatible with automotive scopes such as the 4X25A, 4X25, 4X23 which is the same as the automotive version of PicoScope 6. These automotive scopes are the only scopes suitable for use in automotive applications. The 2204A is not suitable for automotive use so is not compatible with automotive software.

Neil
Neil
Technical Support Engineer

MikeP 23

Post by MikeP 23 »

I would point out that I do use my pico2204a in an automotive environment - DIY on three of my own cars at home - and it perforrms very nicely for the uses I put it to. Sensor performance, ignition performance, CAN performance and all the troubleshooting that the car electrical systems require. I believe that the pico automotive softaware would be of great value to me in the environment where the 2204a is already actively engaged. So how about allowing those of us who cannot afford or justify well over £1000 for intermittent DIY use, just to use software that could be used if you didn't actively block it.
It might be considered a little high-handed to say that my 2204a is not suitable for a use to which it is regularly put and in which it performs well.
I haven't checked yet, but do I have access to the library of known good waveforms?

G-son
User
User

Post by G-son »

MikeP 23 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:21 pm
I believe that the pico automotive softaware would be of great value to me in the environment where the 2204a is already actively engaged. So how about allowing those of us who cannot afford or justify well over £1000 for intermittent DIY use, just to use software that could be used if you didn't actively block it.
I'm pretty sure a fair bit of the price for the automotive picoscopes is to cover the development and running costs of the automotive software, library etc, so while I do agree that giving access to those things to anyone with any picoscope would be beneficial for their ability to do automotive work it would probably hurt Picoscope quite a bit financially when a large amount of people go for a bargain basement 2204A rather than a high end automotive scope for far more money. There's also a risk a lot of those people would run into the limitations of the 2204A and damage it or get tired of it and stop using it, perhaps even buying a competing brand instead.

The 2204A is a very powerful tool, and in the hands of anyone who know how to use it it can do great things. But rather than seeing it as being blocked from using the automotive software, I see it as a great way getting into USB oscilloscopes for very little money. Someone who knows how to use an oscilloscope will be able to work around the limitations most of the time, and the automotive software isn't really necessary if you know how to interpret what you see on the screen anyway - it may be faster, but if you understand what you are looking for the T&M software gets the job done anyway.
If the 2000 series scopes would have to carry the cost of the automotive software I don't think they would be particularly low price anymore, and while those of us that already have used picoscopes and like them may keep coming back when we need a new one I think a lot of the beginners/low budget customers would focus too much on the price tag and get a horrible cheap chinese USB scope instead.

So, this is just my own theories, but I think the situation is more complicated than just giving everyone access to the automotive features, when all factors are taken into account. I think Picoscope is doing the right thing, having good but basic models available at a good price to get a good connection to the hobby market, and then the separate high end automotive range that gives access to features that is mostly useful for automotive work.