Preserving Signal Attenuation between Scope and PC

Post discussions on projects you are working on
AndrewBinHouston

Preserving Signal Attenuation between Scope and PC

Post by AndrewBinHouston »

Hi All,

There is an upcoming test whereby we will be attaching probes up tower in a wind turbine application.
As the tower will be live at the time of test we will need to position ourselves at the base of the turbine.

Do you have any recommendations about the best way to set up the test so we can preserve our signals to the best of our ability. (for reference I am using the picoscope 3403D, 4 Channel 50MHz).

The solutions I have come up with to date are as follows:

- Run 300ft of coaxial cable directly down tower from the probes to the scope (however I expect we will see significant attenuation of the high frequency part of the signal).
- Leave the scope at the top of the tower and run a 300ft length of USB cable down the turbine to the PC (after reading some info online, this is not recommended without some sort of USB booster signal).

Thanks for your input!

ps - as a side note, can someone please advise me how to view Voltage on the y-axis (vs. Freq. on the x - axis) in spectrum mode?

BR,
Andrew

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Preserving Signal Attenuation between Scope and PC

Post by bennog »

2 laptops 1 in the top an one at the bottem and a ethernet cable between them and use remote desktop.

is one of the options.

Benno

AndrewBinHouston

Post by AndrewBinHouston »

Thank you Benno - I will give this a go and let you know how I get on.

Appreciate the input,

BR,
Andrew

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

be aware you don't have DHCP so you should probably assign fixed IP addresses if the laptop's can not 'see' each-other.

First try this in the office with only an network cable between both laptop's and not connected to any switch.
Depending on the type of NIC in the laptop (especially older ones) you might need a crossed over network cable.

Benno