Measurement unit problem on 2206B

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Mac software
michael.farmer

Measurement unit problem on 2206B

Post by michael.farmer »

I have noticed an apparent discrepancy between a sine wave amplitude displayed in scope view and the corresponding component displayed in spectrum view. If I select a 100mV amplitude signal fixed at 20kHz and connect the AWG port directly to the channel B port (no probe or external attenuation), the scope trace shows 100mV peak (200mV pk to peak) as expected but the 20kHz response on spectrum trace shows an amplitude of -20dBu. I would expect to see -20dBV under these conditions (or better yet -23dBV, this being the value corresponding to the RMS amplitude). My scope is a 2206B running software version 6.13.7.706 on a MacBook Pro. What am I doing wrong, please? And as a final question, what is the effective output impedance (source impedance) of the AEG port?

michael.farmer

Re: Measurement unit problem on 2206B

Post by michael.farmer »

I think I have partially solved my own problem. If I select the "Y" axis scale window and select "dBV" I get the correct reading but I am a little surprised that the scaling doesn't adjust automatically to match the input signal. Sorry about the typo on AWG but the question about source impedance still stands.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The AWG output impedance is 600 Ω
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

michael.farmer

Post by michael.farmer »

Thank you, Martyn, that's all I needed to know.