"PicoScope 7 Automotive Beta: Open To All" ?

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
nurber
Active User
Active User

"PicoScope 7 Automotive Beta: Open To All" ?

Post by nurber »

I'm trying to understand this beta that is "Open to All", but only works with automotive scopes and is posted on the T&M website ? Feels like "here is what you could have if you had an automotive scope." Think it would be less misleading to say "demo mode for all."

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "PicoScope 7 Automotive Beta: Open To All" ?

Post by alan »

Hi Nurber, PicoScope 7 is for automotive users / scopes only at the moment. Where on the T&M web site (picotech.com) does it say its open to all? We may have made a mistake as it should only be on picoauto.com). Thanks!

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

Tried uploading an image, but like so many times in the past am unable to. In the past it would say too large file, but now it says nothing. On the news page of T&M website.

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by alan »

Got it - thanks!

That post was put there as we were getting quite a few T&M customers asking if / when they could use PicoScope 7. The post does explain it is a beta at the moment, missing features and only works with automotive scopes.

I agree the "Open to all" graphic is misleading and I can see how it has happened. The graphic used was updated when we changed from a closed to open beta for automotive users. The update to the graphic somehow got used here where it does not make sense.

I will get the graphic corrected and text updated - thanks for highlighting this. It is going to be a while before PicoScope 7 is available for T&M PicoScopes but it will be worth the wait.

jamesmentele

Post by jamesmentele »

I'm not sure this is a bug, but I tested the backwards compatibility. We have an application that processes psdata files from earlier versions. I used a 4425 with PicoScope 7 Automotive and saved it and then sent it to our application. Our application uses Automotive 6 to convert the psdata file to a csv file for Fourier transforms and other analyses. But the program abended before the conversion process completed. Should this have worked? If we use Automotive 7 to convert psdata to csv, should that work for both 6 and 7 sources? I tried to send the psdata file but your application rejected it - file type not supported.

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

alan wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:04 pm
It is going to be a while before PicoScope 7 is available for T&M PicoScopes but it will be worth the wait.
Hi Alan. Can you be more specific than "a while" ? "Worth the wait" depends on the wait and the features implemented. Labels, for example, which seem more like a requisite than a feature have been mentioned for a long time on this forum so that's too long a wait. Furthermore labels are included in PicoScope 6 automotive which shares the same codebase as non-automotive. Feels like non-automotive is purposely feature deprived to create artificial value in the automotive line where I'm guessing the real money is ?

Sven

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by alan »

PS7 is being done first for automotive as some features that will take a while to add (spectrum mode, masks, deep measure, decoders etc) are more T&M features. PS7 automotive is nearly complete so during 2021 the focus will be on the T&M version.

I can not give an exact date as to when it will be ready, firstly because I have been around long enough to know any date given will be wrong and secondly because of our policy of free lifetime upgrades - there is no "ready" we will keep improving & innovating.

As for your point about labels, in PS7 you can name channels so Channel A can be "Clock" for example that will be there for T&M users. The channel labels in the automotive build are not really suited outside automotive (a drop down list of injectors, ignition etc) but we will see if they can be adapted to be useful.

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

Helpful, thanks for reply