Image capturing bugs

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
BJC

Image capturing bugs

Post by BJC »

Hi,

I'm using a PicoScope an getting some anomalies when trying to capture images. There seem to be 3 issues:
  • Image clipping
  • Additional background
  • Waiting for data displayed erronously
I'm running a multi-monitor setup with one scaled display (125%) and two unscaled displays (100%).

I've attached a compressed archive with 2 sets of files - one set for the PicoScope window positioned on the scaled and unscaled monitors. [There's a little post-capture redaction, in red.] Each set includes the following files:
  • an image created using the PicoScope Edit | Copy As Image menu option (and then pasted into MS Paint and saved)
  • an image created using the PicoScope Edit | Copy Entire Window As Image menu option
  • an Image captured with the Snip & Sketch application, using the "window" option
Image clipping issue
For the scaled display, the images captured using the Edit | Copy Entire Window As Image menu option in PicoScope are clipped to the right and bottom. The differences in images sizes seems to be correlated to the display scaling level.

Additional background issue
Images captured using the Edit | Copy Entire Window As Image menu option in PicoScope capture a border of the background to the left, right, and bottom. I'd speculate that the the issue is that there isn't the correct allowance for window borders, since the style changes in Windows 10 have reduced the border widths.

Waiting for data issue
Images captured using the Edit | Copy As Image menu option in PicoScope include "Waiting for data..." elements that aren't visible in the normal window. I note that the window is actually showing data from an opened file. However, the "live" capture is indeed waiting for data. Given that this wasn't visible on the PicoScope window, it would seem a bug that the information from the live capture is included in the image.

The system information reported by the PicoScope software is as follows:
PicoScope® 6 - PC Oscilloscope software version: 6.14.4.4493
Copyright © 1995-2019, Pico Technology Ltd.

Model: PicoScope 3406D MSO
Serial Number: CU996/036
USB Version: 3.0
Calibration Date: 18 December 2015
Hardware Version: 1
Driver Version: 2.1.21.1611
Firmware Version: 1.7.5.0 / 1.0.66.0

Hope this helps,
BJC
Attachments
PicoScope Image Bugs.zip
(866.76 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

mike603

Re: Image capturing bugs

Post by mike603 »

I am also seeing this. I originally reported this October 28th, 2019. I haven't seen any comments or resolutions from Pico on this.

Just to confirm, I set the windows scaling factor to 100% (down from 150%) and the Copy Entire Window as Image works just fine.

This feature needs to be modified to understand screen scaling.

BJC

Re: Image capturing bugs

Post by BJC »

I found my own solution to this problem. Hopefully it'll help anyone else that searches for the same issue.

The solution is to change the compatibility settings for the application. The following steps worked for me:
• Click the Logo key to initiate the Start menu
• Type “Picoscope” (no quotes)
• Right click the application shortcut and select the Open File Location context menu item
• In the subsequent Windows Explorer window, right click the PicoScope 6 item and select the Properties context menu item
• Select the Compatibility tab
• In the Settings group, activate the Change high DPI settings button
• In the High DPI scaling override group, enable the Override high DPI scaling behaviour option
• Set the Scaling performed by option to Application
• Activate the OK button to apply the settings

Next time I started the PicoScope application, the image copying worked on every display, irrespective of the scaling setting.

This doesn't change the issue that the image has an additional border than contains the window background (i.e. the contents of whatever happens to be below the PicoScope window).

Hope this helps.