PicoScope on Kubuntu 19.10

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
Frazer

PicoScope on Kubuntu 19.10

Post by Frazer »

I have recently been asked to try and make our PicoScope 2200 available for use on our Physics laptops running Kubuntu 19.10 and KDE Plasma desktop. So far this has proved unsuccessful. The PicoScope application appears to install correctly but crashes on startup and from other threads it appears likely that this is a dependency issue. The specific library file that was referenced is libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1.1 amd64.deb but there may be other issues that I am unaware of.

As a first attempt I downloaded the library noted above and attempted to install it as per the instructions but this made no difference and I suspect that the methodology of simply unpacking and copying library files across to the library folder is probably not registering the library properly, if indeed this library is the problem.

Manual library installation is not a particularly orthogonal process in Linux at the best of times and I am reluctant to start dumping files randomly around folders without being clear exactly what I am doing. I have unintentionally bricked parts of the installation before.

Has anyone else successfully installed PicoScope on 19.04 or 19.10 Kubuntu? If so I would love to know what you did. Any other advice gratefully received.

Regards, Frazer

PrzemoF
User
User

Re: PicoScope on Kubuntu 19.10

Post by PrzemoF »

Edit the picoscope start script last line to show all output & error messages and start it from terminal. That has helped me to nail down all problems that I had with starting picoscope on fedora.

Code: Select all

exec sg $PICO_GROUP -c "$RUN_CMD /opt/picoscope/lib/PicoScope.GTK.exe 2>&1 >/dev/null" 2>&1 >/dev/null
to

Code: Select all

exec sg $PICO_GROUP -c "$RUN_CMD /opt/picoscope/lib/PicoScope.GTK.exe"

Frazer

Post by Frazer »

Had to take a break from looking at this to undertake some server rebuilds so apologies for not replying sooner.

Before looking into issues on this build I decided to trial a vanilla 18.04 LTS build on the same platform to compare and was very surprised that the same bug appeared, namely that Picoscope crashes at startup.

The suggestion to make a small change to the startup script is a good one. However I can't seem to find the Picoscope start script mentioned. Where am I looking?

Frazer

Post by Frazer »

I have found that installing libgdiplus seems to have fixed the problem. This library is not installed as Ubuntu core in 18.04 and later builds and appears to have been missed as a dependency. I have not had a chance to try a live instrument as yet but this looks to be solved.