Differential Manchester encoding

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
NDK

Differential Manchester encoding

Post by NDK » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:36 pm

Now that Picoscope can decode Manchester encoding (and very nice it is too), may I add Differential Manchester encoding to the wish list? I have an application that uses it and I'd imagine it's not a huge change to decode that as well.

Nick

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Differential Manchester encoding

Post by Martyn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:32 am

Often the decoders will work on a single leg of a differential signal subject to noise. If noise prevents this in your setup then you can use two channels and create a Math Channel (A-B) and use that for decoding.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

NDK

Post by NDK » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:59 am

My signal isn't differential (small "d"): "Differential Manchester" encoding encodes bits in a different way to Manchester encoding.

In Manchester encoding, the mid-bit transition denotes a 0 (high to low) or a 1 (low to high).

In Differential Manchester encoding, the start-bit transition denotes a 0 (transition) or a 1 (no transition). The signal can be inverted and still be valid since it's only the presence or a absence of a transition that's important.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks for clearing that up. I will add the request for the team to consider however I will caution that, as this is the first request, it will be relatively low priority.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

NDK

Post by NDK » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks Martyn. I'm happy to be the first (and hopefully not the last).