Is it possible to write a Matlab script that do data logging for a couple hours with high sampling frequency?

Post your MATLAB discussions here
vitsensei

Is it possible to write a Matlab script that do data logging for a couple hours with high sampling frequency?

Post by vitsensei »

Hi,
I recently started using the product. So far everything is great, especially the software that comes with it.
What I'm currently owning is a Picoscope 4444.

However, I find it very difficult to integrate the hardware to the problem we are trying to solve right now. Basically, we want to log the voltage and current of a welding machine at around a few thousands of sample per second, for a couple of hours and process the data later.

Initially, I try Picolog software, and I found it can only go down to 1 sample/ms, which is not good enough for our task. I then try PicoScope 6 and save the data for later use but it doesn't have enough configuration (for data logging) compare to Picolog. So recently I have been trying to follow the Matlab sample code but it was so difficult to plot the data (I blame Matlab). In fact, when running the sample code, what I get of the waveform quality is far from what I get from Picoscope (Picolog is too slow).

I'm hoping if you guys can redirect me into the correct path. If there's a simple and easy to interface method for logging data, that would be great as logging data should not be the biggest time consumption task in our project.

NeilH
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Re: Is it possible to write a Matlab script that do data logging for a couple hours with high sampling frequency?

Post by NeilH »

Hi

You can do this kind of application within MATLAB using streaming mode capture type.
We have addons for using our scopes in MATLAB which contain examples to get you started, these addon are the PicoScope Support Toolbox and the PicoScope 4000 Series A API MATLAB Generic Instrument Driver addon which can be gotten through the addon manager within MATLAB or from our github page https://github.com/picotech?language=matlab

If you need assistance on getting this set up just ask either here or by email to support@picotech.com

Please be aware that streaming data at several kS/s on multiple channels for extended periods of time will give you a data set that can get quite large and take up a decent amount of memory

Neil
Neil
Technical Support Engineer

DwightG

Re: Is it possible to write a Matlab script that do data logging for a couple hours with high sampling frequency?

Post by DwightG »

Hi, Vitsensei. How did you get on with this?