Temperature Oscillations in Data Collection

Post any questions you may have about our current range of USB data loggers
jessicakennedy

Temperature Oscillations in Data Collection

Post by jessicakennedy »

I am using the TC-08 8 channel thermocouple data logger in order to determine the internal temperatures of mussels as I freeze them in incubators at temperatures between 0 and -10 (the incubator is a Panasonic MIR-154 cooled incubator). I am having trouble since I am getting very big oscillations in my data. I don't believe that the oscillations come entirely from the incubator compressor turning on and off throughout my measurements, but this may be the case. The incubator should theoretically maintain the temperature that I set it at (it displays the temperature on its display and doesn't oscillate like this)- instead I see oscillations of +/- 2 degrees Celsius.

I have tried moving the thermocouple interfaces as far as possible from the incubator since I thought that the incubator may be causing electrical interference which the thermocouples are picking up as changes in temperatures, and I still had the same problem.

I am reaching out to ask if anyone has any ideas on anything I can do to avoid the oscillations to get more precise data, apart from using different methods of cooling. Are there settings that I could try to minimize the oscillations? Perhaps attenuation?

Edit: using an iButton to monitor temperature inside the incubator shows that the incubator itself isn't oscillating more than +/- 0.4°C, so it must be some kind of electrical interference.

Thanks in advance!

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Temperature Oscillations in Data Collection

Post by Martyn »

Sorry for the late reply. If you are still having issues then see Page 13 of Frequently Asked Questions
Martyn
Technical Support Manager