Installing two versions of PicoScope?

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
terrypin

Installing two versions of PicoScope?

Post by terrypin »

I have setup PicoScope6_r6_11_10.exe on my shed XP PC and PicoScope6_r6_13_6.exe on my office Win 10 Pro PC.

I'd like to also install the XP version on this Win 10 PC, and try running under compatibility mode. That might allow me to run files from my shed workshop, old and new, as unfortunately your later versions have no backward compatibility. But I got a message that 'a later version is installed'. There was no option offering to install in another directory. Is that possible please?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Installing two versions of PicoScope?

Post by bennog »

you can run the latest beta and the xp version together.
so beta is latest
non beta is the XP version

Benno

terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks Benno. So, if I understand correctly, I should uninstall my Win 10 version, install the old XP version, and then install the latest Win 10 version beta, when I assume I will be able to choose a different directory.

Does it have to be the beta? Is that robust?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

We don't currently have a Beta version, and no guarantee that we will have Beta versions available during the software development cycle, so the only option would be to uninstall the latest and then install the XP version in it's place.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

OK then an other solution (if you haven enough RAM) use a windows-XP virtual PC (optional in borderless mode) and start the XP version from the virtual PC.

Or even simpler remote desktop in to the win-xp machine in the workshop.

Benno

terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Martyn,

That’s disappointing. Why is it not possible to install in parallel? For several of my major applications I have multiple versions installed, a fairly common situation I believe.

Benno,

Thanks but neither of those alternatives are attractive in this case. I’m not technically confident enough to set up a virtual system. And the shed workshop PC unfortunately has no Internet access.