Question on technical capabilities of Picoscope

Which product is right for your exact requirements
thomas1988
User
User

Question on technical capabilities of Picoscope

Post by thomas1988 »

Hello,

I plan to buy the Picoscope 3406D and I have a few questions regarding its technical capabilities.

For my application, I need to log 4 analog channels at 1MSamples/s (in total thus, 4MSample/s are stored). Ideally, I would like to log data during 10 minutes and save them on my computer. Obviously, the picoscope internal memory isn't big enough to store all the data. An alternative for me would be to log data until the memory is full, save data on the computer, run again the oscilloscope, re-save data etc.

My questions are:

1/ Acquiring the data: 3 possibilities:
  • streaming data to Picoscope 6 and save them: based on this page (https://www.picotech.com/library/oscill ... aming-mode), the record length for the 3000D series is 1000MS, Sampling rate is 10MS/s. Thus, I could log 25 seconds of data (1MS/s * 4 channels * 25s = 100MS). Correct ? Then, if I save the data in a file, in which format are stored the data ? Binary ?
  • Internal memory: the picoscope "3406D" has an internal memory of 512MS. Does-it mean that I can log 512MS, and then download the data on the computer? If yes, I will be able to log data during 128 seconds (1MS/s * 4 channels * 128s = 512MS). How long does it take to download the 512MS ?
  • Last possibility: use the API, no record length limit. For such a "simple" application (simply logging data during an undefined time), do you have already software available in Python/Matlab/C/... ?
2/ Segmented memory: does the Picoscope 3406D has a segmented memory capability (like: https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/gener ... ion_00.jpg).
Indeed, I would like to log data only if one of the signals goes out of a voltage windows. This happens only a few % of the time. If the data can be saved only when it happens, I will avoid filling the memory with uninteresting signals

Thank you in advance,
Thomas

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Question on technical capabilities of Picoscope

Post by bennog »

Streaming mode you can log for as long as the PC has enough memory.

I had made some application to analyse the data in code and only save the result of the analyse.
It was streaming at 5Ms/sec and run for a couple of weeks.

This is only possible with the SDK, the PicoScope application is limited to at total of 100Ms in streaming mode.

Benno

thomas1988
User
User

Re: Question on technical capabilities of Picoscope

Post by thomas1988 »

Hello Bennog,

thank you for the reply.
I think that I will use the streaming mode with API to keep a total freedom in the data length.

Cheers,
Thomas