PicoScope 3425 doing a fantastic job capturing >300V p-p differential surges

Post discussions on projects you are working on
bboyes

PicoScope 3425 doing a fantastic job capturing >300V p-p differential surges

Post by bboyes »

I recently purchased a used 3425 and it has turned out to be the key instrument on this project! We are looking for destructive voltage surges on railroad tracks. The PicoScope 6 software is fantastic and we are logging data 24/7 using alarms, and pushing into the Google cloud from a remote site. That has not been as easy as we expected. But it is working. I love the 4mm probe tips: I ordered some spade terminal to 4 mm adapters from Cal Test which let us bolt and plug everything into a mission critical control system without using clips which are easily knocked off. We have captured some over 300 volt peak-peak surges on a system which should have 10 volts peak to peak normal operation. And all these need to be differential since each signal has its own reference separate from mains power ground. The whole team is impressed with the 3425 capabilities vs old-school data loggers. Based on results so far I have just ordered a 4444 for additional differential logging on the same project. Any team member can review the captured data (all shared in the cloud) using PS6 software - which looks great on a large Sony 4K monitor by the way.

I am attempting to attach a PNG screen capture. You may detect this is viewed using the Linux PS6 beta software. We would really really like to be logging in the field using Linux but the PS6 Linux does not support alarms and autonomous triggered file capture. Please? It is super hard to get Windows 10 Pro to run unattended on a slow 4GLTE modem metered connection without killing everything with scans, background processes, and forced restarts. Linux is a much better platform for long-uptime unattended operation. Contact me if you would like some help adding those features, or want us to beta test.
Sincerely, Bruce Boyes
Attachments
CS1817_20190203_935AM_Event86_zoom32_324V-pk-pk.png

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: PicoScope 3425 doing a fantastic job capturing >300V p-p differential surges

Post by bennog »

Be aware that the 4444 only has +/- 50V max rangen you need the PicoConnect 442 probe to use it on voltages higher than 50V!

But it has a lot (500 times) more memory and USB3 so you can capture at higher sampling rates or for longer durations.

Benno.
Happy user of the 4444.

bboyes

Re: PicoScope 3425 doing a fantastic job capturing >300V p-p differential surges

Post by bboyes »

Thanks for calling that to my attention. So that is one area the 3425 is better. I did also order two 442 probes... may need to get two more.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

By providing the high voltage via the PicoConnect 442 probe, it means the PicoScope 4444 is a more versatile solution compared with the old 3425, offering both low and high voltage differential measurements.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager