PicoScope 3000: streaming mode, hardware, OS support

Which product is right for your exact requirements
resonant

PicoScope 3000: streaming mode, hardware, OS support

Post by resonant »

I am considering purchasing a PicoScope 3000 and have a few questions related to streaming mode.

I see the following listed under the PicoScope 3000 specifications section regarding streaming data rate "125 MS/s when using the supplied SDK (PC-dependent)". In the Programmer's Guide on page 15, I see that this rate can be achieved using USB3, a single channel, and that it drop as the number of channels rise. What transfer rate does this 125 MS/s equate to in terms of data stored on disk?

Per the prior paragraph's quote from the specifications, can you give me an example hardware configuration that is capable of recording at 125 MS/s continuously, assuming I use the SDK/API/library? I am guessing this requires a recent machine with a decent amount of RAM and a SSD.

I see that PicoScope appears to support Windows, OSX and Linux. I use Linux and other open source OSes and wanted to verify that the various software tools will work on Linux. Further, I am interested to know if it is possible to record streaming data using the API on other open source non-Linux OSes, where a special driver is not present.

Thanks for reading!

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PicoScope 3000: streaming mode, hardware, OS support

Post by Martyn »

The 125MS/s sample rate for one channel streaming allows sufficient overhead when compared with the physical line rate of 500MB/s. Therefore most PC's that support USB3 would be able to support maximum speed streaming subject to how well the application is written. Adding more RAM and using an SSD will always help.

There is example code on our GitHub pages that would help to get you going.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: PicoScope 3000: streaming mode, hardware, OS support

Post by bennog »

You are looking at 250MB of data that needs to be processed with your application. Or if you want to stream it to an SSD the SSD needs to be capable of writing at least 350MB/sec sustained.

Benno