Test and Measurement Forum

High speed Temp logging using TC08(USB) via LabVieW 8.2

Post your LabVIEW discussions here

High speed Temp logging using TC08(USB) via LabVieW 8.2

Postby vavoul » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:12 pm

Dear All,

I am trying to write a vi for a TC08(USB) that will enable me to acquire K thermocouple data at ~high speed over 30 Hz per channel. The Usage of labview is mandatory since I have to integrate (synchronized) this vi with other DAQ and DMM measurements.

From manual I understand that in order to succeed high data logging rates the streaming mode should be selected via the use of usb_tc08_run and usb_tc08_get_temp commands. Unfortunately, all my efforts are unsuccesfull and I desparately want help. :)

Using Get Single mode, I managed to prepare a vi tha suits my application logic perfectly but the acquisition rate is too slow only 4 Hz (even for two channels). ( I attach the vi: USB_TC-08_Single_82_2channels_4Hertz.vi)

Additionally I attach the outcome of my efforts for streaming mode. I tried to keep same logic since this suits my experimental plan, but when I start the vi, LABVIEW closes....with the standard message :"LabVIEW 8.2 Development System has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Thank you in advance,

effort for streaming mode
(22.96 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
succesfull effort for singe get mode
(90.76 KiB) Downloaded 267 times

Postby gruntman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:41 pm

The TC-08 has a conversion time of ~100ms per channel. Therefore even if only one channel was enabled you will be able to only collect data at approximately 10Hz under ideal conditions, nowhere near your desired 30Hz.

I briefly looked at your streaming example and noticed one major flaw. You are calling usb_tc08_legacy_get_temp when you should be calling usb_tc08_get_temp. The legacy method only works if you set the TC-08 up into legacy mode which you do not need to do.

Richard Boyd
Crag Technologies, Inc

Return to LabVIEW