Input voltage protection

Having problems ? let us know the details here
injb
User
User

Input voltage protection

Post by injb »

Hi, I just bought a 2405A and I have a question about the voltage limits. It says +/- 20v - is this independent of the voltage range I select in the picoscope software?

I ask because when I tried selecting the various ranges, I can hear it click for 200mv, 2v and 20v, so I presume there's some switching going on to scale my input to make the best use of the ADC's range. Supposing I'm looking at something that has a 20v spike, and then 2v section, and I want to zoom into the 2v part to get the best resolution. Can I safely set it to 2v, and just let the 20v part get clipped?

Thanks!

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Input voltage protection

Post by Martyn »

Yes that is fine, the device overvoltage protection is ±100 V (DC + AC peak)
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

injb
User
User

Post by injb »

Martyn wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:51 pm
Yes that is fine, the device overvoltage protection is ±100 V (DC + AC peak)
Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused though. Maybe I didn't phrase my question very well.

I read in another thread on this forum that you shouldn't rely on the overvoltage protection (see topic38081.html):
Although the overvoltage protection is ±50 V continued exposure to voltages over ±20V will cause damage, so you will need to use a voltage divider.
So what I'm trying to understand is, if I probe a signal of 20v while I have scale of lower than 20v selected in the software, does that count as 'overvoltage'?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The other thread was talking about looking at 24V signals so a significant amount of time the signal will be above the 20V range. You said 20V spikes, which are within the measurable range of the scope and so not overvoltage, and by nature would be short duration.
Martyn

smolskas.rytis

Post by smolskas.rytis »

Sadly it is unclear from datasheet what max voltage is save at the inputs. Does it depends on input range selection in software or not? The previous question i think is unanswered. It is answered for the case where +-20V input range is selected. What if i select lower range?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

±100 V (DC + AC peak) is the device input voltage protection
Martyn