Freezes with any timescale over 5s

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
terrypin

Freezes with any timescale over 5s

Post by terrypin »

Yet another freezing problem with my 2505A using PicoScope 6.11.10.1540.

5s/div works OK but as soon as I select any longer period the program freezes.

I'm doing mainly 'real time' experimenting, with manual push-button input signals over a long period, sometimes several minutes. So I'm currently stuck with 5s as the only choice.

I suspect some common cause with my outstanding zoom problem.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

terrypin

Re: Freezes with any timescale over 5s

Post by terrypin »

No advice on this please?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

This is an older version of the software and there have been many fixes since then, but I appreciate that you may need to use this version to support an XP operating system.

Do you still get the issue if you are just collecting raw data, to do this make sure there are no math channels enabled, no serial decoding, no filters or resolution enhancement.

All these features can be switched back on after you have collected the data.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Do you still get the issue if you are just collecting raw data?
Thanks Martyn but please remember that I'm in re-learning mode - and from a pretty basic 'hobbyist' level to start with!

Specifically, I don't understand what you mean by "just collecting raw data"? As the issue is: "why does the program freeze if I select any setting higher than 5s/div", presumably I'm not actually collecting any data, 'raw' or otherwise, at that point, just changing settings?

If it helps here is one of the data files I saved on the shed XP PC and copied here on my Win 10 PC. Via USB stick, because my shed PC has no internet connection. The circuit was a push-button pulse (Ch A) triggering a 555 monostable (output Ch B).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qi67p6a3qegd ... data?raw=1
(Is there another way you'd prefer to receive files?)

One other point, in case it's related: the trace in that and (other 5s/div examples) progresses steadily from left to right, as I'd expect, but then stops about half way for maybe 15-20 s before re-appearing again, with the intervening signals then displayed.

Terry Pinnell, East Grinstead, UK

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

One thing I would suggest trying is to increase the number of samples you wish to collect across the screen. At present this is set to 16.01kS in the top bar, try changing this to 500kS and see if that improves things with your setup.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Unfortunately that gave a message to "Check the USB cable".

Further tests showed that the highest I could reach was 30kS.

I'm coming reluctantly to the conclusion that it must be some limitation of my shed XP, particularly its slow USB ports. I'm sure I didn't have these sort of issues with my previous product, the ADC200/50, before replacing it with this 2205A. Is there some distinct aspect of their respective specs that might account for this?

--------------------

Anyway, I'm now testing the 2205A in the office on my much newer XP PC (Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHz, 4 GB, XP SP3). The positive news is that I get no messages about USB speeds. And on my initial test I seem able to raise the number of samples to 500k (and 1M) without freezing the program.

So if these tests continue to be positive I'll move this 'mature' PC to the shed and ditch the ancient one.