Slackware 14.2 installation problems

Having problems ? let us know the details here
kimdino

Slackware 14.2 installation problems

Post by kimdino »

Hi,
I have a PicoScope 2204A and am attempting to install the software for it. My system is Salix (Slackware 14.2) with KDE as the desktop. This distro comes with a tool, 'rpm2txz', that converts an rpm to a Slackware package. I have used it many times in the past with no problems.

I have downloaded the following files.
libps2000a-1.4.0-5r09.x86_64.rpm
picoscope-6.12.9-4r35.noarch.rpm
picomono-4.6.2.16-1r02.x86_64.rpm

I then ran 'rpm2txz libps2000a-1.4.0-5r09.x86_64.rpm' to create the Slackware package 'libps2000a-1.4.0-5r09.x86_64.txz'. I then ran (as root) 'installpkg libps2000a-1.4.0-5r09.x86_64.txz' to install the library package. I then installed the picosope & then picomono packages in the same way. I then added a symlink from '/usr/bin/picoscope' to '/opt/picoscope/bin/picoscope'.

When I tried to run 'picoscope' KDE threw up a momentary message saying something about being unable to find mono. So I then installed 'mono 4.4.2.11' & 'gtk-sharp 2.12.29' from the Slackware repository.

Now when I try to run 'picoscope' I get the following at the command prompt:-

Code: Select all

dino@DeanMachine:~$ picoscope
Password:
sg: failed to crypt password with previous salt: Invalid argument
dino@DeanMachine:~$
This is the same whether I use my own password, roots or an empty one.

When I try and run 'picoscope' as root I get a startup screen, a very brief glimpse of the main window (captioned 'PicoScope 6 Beta') and a dialogue for 'Update Preferences'. The 2204A also has a relay click as the main window appears.

I have tried cleaning out the installation and doing a fresh install.

Also - Many thanks for your Linux support, it is why I chose your unit.
Cheers, Kevin Giles

Addition (2nd July):
I have also created a group 'pico' and added myself to this group. I did this in response to some suggestion several days ago but can't remember where.

I have discovered that I can start and run the Picoscope 6 software. To do this I must start as root & without the scope connected. When I am asked "Would you like to use a demo device?" I click 'No'. The main window then runs. But on selecting to connect it crashes out with the report.

root[dino]# picoscope 
sh: line 1:  5464 Aborted                 /opt/picomono/bin/mono /opt/picoscope/lib/PicoScope.GTK.exe 2>&1 > /dev/null
This is same whether I choose to connect to the Demo or my Picoscope 2204A with only the 4 digit number varying, I believe this number may be the pid, is that correct?

On plugging in the 2204A 'dmesg' produces the following

[72427.124731] usb 3-4.4: new high-speed USB device number 13 using ehci-pci
[72427.201334] usb 3-4.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0ce9, idProduct=1007
[72427.201342] usb 3-4.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
and nothing happens with '/var/log/syslog' or under '/dev/'.

I can find no udev rule for the picoscope. Should there be one?

So the questions appear to be 'Why cannot I connect' and 'Why is root required to run the software'? I notice that every file in '/opt/picoscope/' and '/opt/picomono' belong to group 'root'. So I tried changing them to groups 'pico' and 'users' but with no difference in either case.

Hitesh

Re: Slackware 14.2 installation problems

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Kevin,

Your user should be part of the pico group.

There is a usbtest application in the /opt/picoscope/shared/docs/libps2000a directory.

Please try running this as this will give information about permissions and whether you are able to connect to the device.

Our software is supported on Ubuntu, OpenSuse and Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems.

Regards,