Test and Measurement Forum

Please recommend a PC Oscilloscope

Which product is right for your exact requirements

Please recommend a PC Oscilloscope

Postby jerrycho » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:03 pm


I am a PhD student in Univ of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and currently working on energy saving for mobile devices. Basically, I change the CPU frequency/voltage to save energy.

Now I and my advisor want to buy a PC Oscilloscope to measure the variations of the energy consumption of a laptop or iPAQ. That is, when I change the CPU frequency/voltage, the Oscilloscope should show the changes of the input power of the laptop (e.g., the current or the voltage of the AC input). I expect that the power change is quite small.

Would you please recommend a desirable device for such a requirement? Thanks


Postby markspencer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:06 am


The unit I would recommend is the ADC212-3. This unit has a 12 bit resolution and a range of voltage measurements , with the highest being ±20volts, and the miminum setting 10mV.

To measure the current you will also require a current clamp: 60A AC/DC and can measure from 10mA upto 60A. It also has two ratio settings 1mV to 10mA or 1mV to 100mA.

To measure voltage if it is above ±20 volts and below the low voltage directive (42.4V Peak or 30V RMS, 60 VDC) you will need a x1/x10 probe. If the voltage to be measured is above the low voltage directive you will need an isolating probe x10/x100, for safety reasons.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Mark Spencer
User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 598
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 9:45 am

Return to Pre-Sales Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests