Voltage divider with PS3224

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Audioguy
Active User
Active User

Voltage divider with PS3224

Post by Audioguy »

Hi!

I want to use my PS3224 for watching power (+/-20V to +/-100V)amplifier output waveforms and FFT/distortion.

I will use the scope with a laptop running on batteries due to unearthed powersupply to the laptop (SMPS wallwart).

Does it matter (as long as maximum voltage at the BNC input is +/-20V)if I use a pro-grade X10/X20/X100 probe or if I use a voltage divider directly at the poweramp output and measure with ordinary test leads?

I was thinking on using a three resistor divider... something like 100k-10k-100k and measure over the middle resistor.

Also, could the above described method be used for checking 230V mains waveform?

Thanks in advance!

/Peter

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello Audioguy,

In addition to safety considerations, it may save you time and effort by using a high voltage probe such as the ADF25A (http://accessories.picotech.com/oscillo ... robes.html). It is an active differential oscilloscope probe which enables the measurement of signals not referenced to earth, therefore, mains voltages may also be tested.

Regards
John

Audioguy
Active User
Active User

Post by Audioguy »

When using such a differential probe... is it a must to disconnect the PC from mains supply then?

Otherwise there will be two connections to ground and I assume that could cause problems?

/Peter

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello Audioguy,

You do not need to disconnect the PC from the mains power unit unless you experience power unit switching noise coupling through.

Regards
John