measuring temperature of a diameter 0.185mm wire

Which product is right for your exact requirements

measuring temperature of a diameter 0.185mm wire

Post by Guest »

I am trying to measure the temperature of a diameter 0.185mm wire. This wire is heated electrically. I need to know the temperature vs time information. How can I go about measuring it?

Other requirements - portable system, possible to hook up to computer if required.

Thanks

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
This is a difficult one. You cannot use any sensor which contacts the wire as that would cool it down.
First thought would be to try a non-contact infra-red sensing thermometer.

http://www.k-instruments.co.uk/acatalog ... oring.html

Only other way I can think of is to very accurately measure the current through the wire and the voltage across the section that is getting hot. This will give you the resistance. Comparing the resistance when cold to the hot resistance will give an indication of the actual temperature of the wire. (resistance changes with temperature).

PeterF.

0001T

Post by 0001T »

Thanks for the reply. As for the infra-red sensing thermometer, does it require to aim specifically at a point to obtain the temperature? Or is it able to cover an area?

Regards

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi,

The infra-red thermometer is not one of our products, so I can't tell you much about it. I would imagine that, within limits, it detects the hottest thing in it's capture area. Best to ask the manufacturer.

PeterF.