Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Mac software
Jeremys
User
User

New Picoscope for Mac Beta

Post by Jeremys »

It seems to basically work now BUT
1) I can't see how to set up custom probes
2) I can't seem to restrict data samples to less than about 15000. Eg if I select to limit to 1 k samples the control in the top bar says it is restricted but in practice the saved file gives 15 k samples

Hitesh

Re: New Picoscope for Mac Beta

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Jeremys,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are yet to add support for Custom probes in the PicoScope Beta for macOS software. Depending on your settings (i.e. number of samples less than 5 MS per waveform) you may wish to try using a Maths channel for now to apply any scaling.

There is a minimum limit of 15000 samples set in the software in streaming mode collections. If you are collecting data in streaming mode, try changing the point at which the software switches to streaming mode in the Tools -> Preferences dialog (increase it from the 200 ms/div default). You would have to wait until the device has completed collection before the waveform is displayed though.

Regards,

Jeremys
User
User

Post by Jeremys »

Thanks Hitesh but that is no good to me. I use the software for "walk tests" measuring human body voltage over a 20 second period. I watch the waveform while the person walks until I have a screenful of good waveform and then when I have, I stop and save the waveform. I process the data with Excel. I frequently have 20+ waveforms from a job. An Excel file with 20x15k waveforms and associated calculations gets very slow.

Guess I'll have to stick with the old ADC42 running on an ancient IBM pc with printer port. "Progress" and "upgrade" :cry: has not been kind to me. :cry:

Jeremys
User
User

Post by Jeremys »

PS regarding the custom tools I also use the system for training. Having the system say "V" when it should say "kV" is not convincing for non-technical course attendees.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Jeremys,

Thank you for the clarification.

When you refer to 'V' and 'kV', are you referring to not being able to use the Custom Probes feature?

I will add your comments to an existing request for the Development Team's attention although it is likely that the feature will not be added until the next major release of the PicoScope software.

In the meantime, you may wish to consider using the PicoScope software on a Microsoft Windows operating system either natively or via a virtual machine.

Regards,

Jeremys
User
User

Post by Jeremys »

Hi Hitesh,

This is what I have been doing for years. I run a VMware emulator on the mac with Win XpPro just so I can run picoscope for training purposes with my Picoscope 4224 (which is total overkill for this application) so I can display the real world voltages on screen.

For walk tests I use an ancient IBM laptop with printer port again running XPpro, with an ADC42, so I can get small data file sizes from a 20 second test with about 100 samples per second.

Ideally I would like a simple picoscope plugin (e.g. a USB dongle) with mac software able to give me small data file sizes and direct redout of the real voltages on the display. There are some dongle style USB scopes around but they are not without problems either as they usually also need Win software.